Redlands Newbie

Simo 73

Hi Guys,

i am new to fishing having decided i wanted wanted to get out and about with the kids and do something I enjoyed as a kid in the UK. I live in the Redlands and I am looking for areas I can gat to based on land.

i have a couple of spin outfits and I took the kids to raby bay canals and mouth at Portsmouth Place today fishing prawn and soft plastic minnow. We moved to the canal as it was pretty windy and I caught an Eastern Fortescue Fish which frightened the **** out of me!!

any tips where I can do some nice easy fishing with the kids Bream, flathead,Cod etc... I also tried out towards Cleveland lighthouse but it was so rocky we kept getting snagged. Is Thompson Beach at Vic Point any good?

any suggestions ideas are really appreciated.

thanks,

simon

Bit hard this time of year with lots of people about.

Point Ohalloran on rising tide whiting,bream ,flathead and stray tailor.

Thompsons Beach for whiting and flathead.

Wellington point when not many people around but kids enjoy the adventure of walking out to King Island.

All the above you do better wading and moving around covering more territory instead of just staying in same place.

Southern groyne at entrance of Wienam creek at redland bay.

Most places do not forget insect repellant as sandflies prevalent.

Do not wish to alarm you but be aware of blue ringed octopus and stonefish whilst not prevalent they are found in the area usually in rocky ground.

How old are your kids?

Cheers

Ray

Mate only a small drive to Lota. Buy a yabby pump and have a go. For the kids pumping yabbies and catching soldier crabs can be half the fun.

Good whiting and bream can be had.

Must be low tide.

Use the sites search function to search some of my lota reports.

Cheers and welcome to the site. Look forward to your reports!

Angus

Couple of other thoughts

2 bait shops in colburn ave at victoria point. the little one next to the bendgio bank is a bit cheaper and will have good advice re best tides/places for shore based.

the one closer to the point on lhs good range of gear and bait but his advice mainly for boaties.

As Angus said get a yabby pump

yabbys very versatile bait kids love getting involved collecting them.

Cheers

Ray

Archived