Tight Screw

ellicat

I went to service my overhead and one of the screws is too tight to undo.

The head of the screw is primarily a flat slot one (it has a tiny Phillips bit in the middle). It doesn't appear corroded in any way. All the others are fine and can be undone.

Any tips on how it could be loosened before I strip the slot any further :pinch:

And throwing it at the wall and throwing a small tantrum doesn't work either:angry:

the only other way would be to use heat.

do you have a soldering iron or a small butane torch?

if so put a fair amount of heat into the area making sure not to damage anything, and then try again?

when all else fails go and buy your own impact driver and use that,

thats prob what shop will do anyway.

you could bring it here and i could take a look at it for you, but im at browns plains and thats a bit of a hike from holland park just for a screw!

i am a qualified mechanic if you were wondering.

Ian.

AZZA,

No Locktite - I have had it off before.

rumrunner,

I've travelled further for it too:laugh:

I'll leave it until after the charter and then might take you up on the offer. Cheers:)

Here's a couple of pics - one bad, one good. (For what it's worth) [img size=366]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC01789.JPG

post-564-14459843236_thumb.jpg

I think you should leave it soaking in in WD40 or silicone spray till after the charter. I have a spare handline you can use.

Nah seriously, it looks like a damn wide slot, what about a 5c piece in some multigrips? Thats the extent of my mechanical knowledge as I just build gates for a living (bad ones at that!)

Other than that it will be as the others said cutting the slot a bit more defined or using an 'ezyout'.

I allways enjoy a tight screw to some extent :P female only

but a word of warning to all

stainless screws bind up really quik

Lots of lube go back and forwards helps sounds strange I know

try it or bring it to the charter and I'll have a go :pinch:

best prevention is to make sure all screws have a coating of a never seize product on them

Gaz

A screw driver doesn't really have much leverage. I would try something like a butter knife and this would give way more leverage and might make it easier to get out.

I have used things like this in the past and they have worked. Then there are all the other WD40 type stuff etc. That everyone has already mentioned.

elicat stick your reel in a bag bring it to the charter ill chuck a couple of goodies in my car and sort you out when we get back to chubbs if you have a good fitting screwdriver put that in as well as i cant pick screw size very well over the net but ill put in a couple anyway as im picky on screwdrivers but we will succeed trust me he says lol:laugh:

Archived