Looking To Get Into Off The Rocks/surf Fishing - What Is An Appropriate Starting Set Up?

hedgey666

As the title states I am looking into starting this new type of fishing for me, I would consider myself a fairly experienced estuary and flats fisherman on exclusively lures but this is completely new to me.  BCF has a combo that perked my interest and if anyone has had any experience with this rod or reel or even brand I would love to hear their thoughts.  Also feel free to let me know anything I should know about this method of fishing.

The combo I have mentioned is visible at this link: https://www.bcf.com.au/rogue-blue-point-spin-combo-12ft/518950.html?cgid=BCF031525

Thanks for your time.

Hedgey - ive been getting into surf fishing recently...

Surf rod for spinning  - you get what you pay for mate....the combo you mentions is a cheaper end of market but anything like that is good to start – Shimano make a good graphite  selection + salt water reel would be beneficial...with 20lb braid , but will cost quite a bit more.

Mate, try getting a few mags out of the library, if im trying a new method - these magazines can be great with articles like 'reading a beach for gutters' or rock fishing basics' - the central library in the city has 40+ mags just sitting there (its on level 2 I think).

Gutters are the key off the beach - deep trench close to shore, behind gutter will be another sand bar, usually have an entry and exit point..best to position your bait at these points, waves might break over outer sand bar and then ‘swell’ over the deep gutter before breaking again on way to beach.

Aussie salmon – Early morning best, try pilchard off a float, add float stopper to main line with running float, use small sinker to get bait down to required depth.

Soft plastics - into white water use 1/4 or 1/8 ounce  jig head

Jew - Beach  - deep pocket of water – look for troughs that wont have swell breaking over the top and swell free from white water, look for exit point where deep water cuts through sand bar

Bream like sandy bottoms near rocks - rising tide early morning or later in the day towards sunset – bream time!

Rock spike shoes are a must on rocks if clambering over dangerous territory - BCF sell a few cheaper versions

Good luck and send a report in when you catch a few whoppers!

Simo

gday hedgey. Are you thinking baits or lures off the rocks/beach?

For bait I like that you are getting a 12 foot rod. They cast further and hold your line above the waves. I don't think much of that reel. I nearly always use alveys for bait fishing on both rocks and beach.

For lure fishing 12 foot rods can be hard work. You can cast lures further than baits and you will be retrieving them more than baits so you could cut down on the rod length.This will sooth the shoulders. 8 foot is good but I often fish with a 6.6 foot rod with soft plastics.

There are a lot of great threads on this here on AFO. Do some searching on Straddie and you will find great info.

Have fun. 

I'm just lurking on here trying to figure out how to saltwater fish for my trip to Oz in December. we don't have much surf fishing in the middle of Canada. 😂 

Guess I'm going to have to go and watch a bunch of videos on how to spot a gutter. I watched your video @Simo68 and have no idea what im looking at! haha I cant speak on behalf of hedgy but that is some good info Simo. definitely some good pointers for me to start googling.

@Esox_angler... will try and find a more obvious one for gutters, im sure you will have a few tour guides when over here to point you in the right direction, 

If you google images  'how to spot a gutter' some of these are better than the videos, the still pictures have labels etc that show gutter entry points

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=how+to+spot+a+gutter&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=_-WDOTjj_1u6ZM%3A%2CffzIsLGYASsE_M%2C_&usg=__lWXgA9cTAYYuUXlojEbYNPY_ao4%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiNw7q0jdzbAhVFppQKHV9gAroQ9QEIhgEwDw#imgrc=_-WDOTjj_1u6ZM:

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/the-fishing-school-gutter-tactics-with-pat-brennan

Archived