NPD Fishing

Huffy26

Hey guys and gals! Firstly thanks everyone on here for the posts! Been awesome looking at people’s catches. This is my first summer ever fishing for bass. Finally feel like I’m getting the hang of it. I normally fish locally around Ipswich. Heading to the NPD for my first time on Sunday morning in the yak. Any advice would be awesome!!! Recommend lures/how it fishes? I’ve only ever fished maroon and I caught nothing that morning 😞  I don’t have a depth sounder but I’m sure there are still ways of catching a few without to much local knowledge? Would love to get my misso onto her first ever bass! 

Thanks guys! Hope everyone has a good week! 

14 hours ago, Huffy26 said:

Hey guys and gals! Firstly thanks everyone on here for the posts! Been awesome looking at people’s catches. This is my first summer ever fishing for bass. Finally feel like I’m getting the hang of it. I normally fish locally around Ipswich. Heading to the NPD for my first time on Sunday morning in the yak. Any advice would be awesome!!! Recommend lures/how it fishes? I’ve only ever fished maroon and I caught nothing that morning 😞  I don’t have a depth sounder but I’m sure there are still ways of catching a few without to much local knowledge? Would love to get my misso onto her first ever bass! 

Thanks guys! Hope everyone has a good week! 

Hey huffy there are a stack of great reports on North Pine Dam on here. These are a few;

This last one is a Dud Day.... only 30 bass caught hahaha 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Read them they are great info and perhaps troll through the search engine and read more.

Like Dino said casting spinner baits to the edges of the weeds works really well this time of year. When it cools down (pretty soon) it wont be as productive. 

Getting a shrimp trap and catching shrimp is a fantastic and reliable way to catch bass all year. Paternoster rigs with wide gape 2/0ish hooks are great for this. You will need a sounder to find the schools if you want to brain them but floating around randomly should still get you a few fish. 

Trolling very deep diving lures is great too but again if you don't have a sounder you can put in lots of hours with not much to show. 

Very early morning in low light you can use poppers and surface lures over the weed banks and weed edges. so much fun seeing surface strikes. 

If you find a school of fish, gigs and blades work well.

Basically you can have an explore of the area and have a great day. Perhaps don't expect to brain them like the reports above. These legends virtually live on the lake and have many decades of experience but if you put in the time you will work out how to nail it. 

Good luck

Point I was trying to make is that the fish dont just sit in one spot, they move around all the time, thats why a sounder is a must. You can throw lures or troll lures all over the place until you find fish, but this is doing it the hard way. You can pick up a second hand sounder for a $100 maybe I could sell you one.

Hey mate, If you're launching from Forgans, try and fish out from the points (~20 foot of water is usually a cheery spot, however you count down to bottom with your lures), either side of the "drop-offs".  Bass will usually be around these somewhere, a few casts only then move on. There will be a bunch of yakkers on schools so be respectful, say g'day, get your sob story right and they might invite you in  🙂

Norm

Cheers Norm and Dino! I don’t mind having a paddle so I might just launch from forgans and fish out from points. Look for trees and structures and see how I go. If I catch nothing I catch nothing but a good lesson learnt 😂 thanks again everyone. 👍🏻

Archived