Hervey Bay Advice Please

Ge_off

Hi Fishos, I'm heading up to Hervey Bay with my 3.9 Quintrex for my first ever visit for a week of fishing in early May,

If any one can tell me anything about locations and fish to target with any advise or warnings, would be much appreciated.

I have only fished the Tweed for the last 10 years but I guess Hervey bay is a different kettle of fish.

Thanks, Bent rods and tight lines to you all.

On 19/04/2019 at 11:12 PM, Ge_off said:

Hi Fishos, I'm heading up to Hervey Bay with my 3.9 Quintrex for my first ever visit for a week of fishing in early May,

If any one can tell me anything about locations and fish to target with any advise or warnings, would be much appreciated.

I have only fished the Tweed for the last 10 years but I guess Hervey bay is a different kettle of fish.

Hey GE_off. Welcome to the forum.

Harvey is great. Watch out when it blows it can get pretty crazy especially in a 3.9m. 

There are loads of options south of Urangan. Fishing and crabbing is awesome down there. I would advise against going north unless you are sure about your boat and the conditions are great. In saying that you can get out of anything from the east.

Stick your crab pots up any small creeks or drains and you should get a feed. 

Plenty of whiting on the weed banks that love worms and yabbies. 

Loads of sand flats to throw plastics around at lower tieds for flatheads. 

If you are into top water whiting there are endless options. lower tides around the drop offs around the yabby banks. 2 foot of water ish. 

Good luck and have a ball. I would love to get up there again soon. 

On 19/04/2019 at 11:12 PM, Ge_off said:

Oh and if you can we would love to see a report on how you go. Even if it is not that fishy. 

Thanks

2 hours ago, Luvit said:

I was told by a local last week that there are heaps of tuna just up inside Rooney's with some scattered queen fish amongst them. 

Rooney’s might be a stretch in the 3.9 unless you have great weather, and lots of fuel and time 😁.  But there are lots of options in Hervey Bay for smaller boats.  There are good ramps at both ends of the bay (Urangan in the south and Gatetakers Bay in the north). As @Drop Bear said, there are heaps of banks south of Urangan and you can pump yabbies just south of the pier there. Gatetakers area is worth a look as well as there are some fringing reef areas where you might pick up sweetlip or even coral trout if you are lucky,  as well as the mouth of Ely Creek for flathead and whiting. If the wind has any north in it, head south, and vice versa. 

If you are looking for whiting, just look for the congregation of boats. This is one of the few places where it is acceptable to move close into another boat’s spot because when the winter whiting are running the schools are big and there is plenty to go around.

Hope you have a good trip and get onto a few fish.