AUS-BNE-FISHO

Hi all

I decided to go out for another session this arvo, targeting threadfin salmon. I got the gear ready in my lunch break today (4 rods, 2 for bream/cod/perch, one with a plastic for lizards, and the final one with a live bait rig for salmon). My friend was coming down too, so I went down at about 2:45PM, and had the lines it at about three. 

After I deployed the baits, River Shrimp, I got out the cast net to see if I couldn't get live bait. I threw off the jetty because otherwise it would've been to shallow. The first cast resulted in some small prawns, which I kept purely for bream/cod/perch bait. The next cast I got one or two more. These were a bit of a better size, and I put one out on the jetty for salmon. While I was on the top though, the rod out in the middle of the river went off. I rapidly picked it up to try and set the hooks. Just as I was deeming it a pick attack, the rod next to the pylons also went off. My friend picked this one up, but unfortunately, to my dismay, neither of the rods was on. That left the score with the fish on 2 and us on nil. 

After that, the rods were bait checked (no bait was left), re baited, and re casted. I did some more throws with the cast net, which resulted in more prawns. I was doing one last throw before I went back up to mind the rods for a bit when I realised that something was in my bottom pocket. I pulled up the net, and to my happiness a decent sized mullet was in it. Hooray! This was the bait from last times bust off mystery fish (most likely a big salmon, if you want the full story read Session #22 and #23). I put him in the live bait bucket and started reeling in the big line. When I got it up, there as no bait on it, which was slightly disappointing. The mullet was pinned through the mouth and deployed...

The other rods were then checked and baited with live bait, which were small prawns. My hands and feet were starting to go numb now as well, because it was that cold and windy. I then sat down and watched the rods. For about 15 minutes, apart from the net falling over and some people passing by, it was quiet. No touches. Well, I then decided to get a couple more prawns in the cast net and the bait bucket was filled nicely. I kept fishing with them though, and gave the live mullet line a quick check. Mullet still on hook - check. Mullet still swimming lively - check. Straight back out he went, in hopes of enticing a salmon. 

By now I had given the rod with a placcy a couple flicks, but since the tide was so low it was in efficient. By now, it was nearing 4:30PM, and just before this a family came down. I had seen them before "magnet" fishing, but this time they had a rod, some pilchards by the looks, and a hardbody lure. They stayed for about half an hour, and the boy was just watching me catch prawns the whole time. I gave the salmon line another bait check and the mullet was still going good. Back out it went. The other lines were getting picked now as well, but as I was walking up there one of them went off. It wasn't very big, but whatever it was it dropped it.

About all of ten minutes later, the rod next to the pylons went off. It seemed OK, but it got us in some structure, snagged up, and the hook was no longer in the fish. After a few tries, I eventually put on some gloves and yanked the line hard enough for it to break. I am quite glad it wasn't my knot that broke, but then again, I was annoyed it was a snag. I kept fishing for about another 20 minutes now, and left at about 5. My second donut here in about 2 weeks. What a surprise. I can't remember the last time I've caught nothing there and now I catch nothing twice, LOL. The cart was loaded, and the rods were reeled in and put away last. Upon departure I decided to get a quick sunset snap for AFO so my report wouldn't be a pictureless write up - 

IMG_6522.JPG.56583196c07079da73e95bbd94b6f11f.JPG

Very gloomy weather!

When I was home, I got a quick shot of the prawns. The cart served well, taking my gear home excellently. The mullet would've been released but my hook gave its mouth a deformed shape and I thought if it had a mouth like that, it might not swim off so I just kept him for bait. Here is the cast netting catches - 

IMG_6523.JPG.a3cf0fa52e8fdb34a92b151e46579246.JPG

The catch from netting

Here are the statistics of the trip for anyone interested. My assumption is the sudden cold front has shut the catfish off the bite, and I have read before catfish don't like the cold. In my experience, perch catches increase over Winter, so I think some smaller hooks may be in order. Hopefully the bream catches improve over the Winter as well - 

Statistics of Trip - 

Tide: High at 10:30AM, Low at 4:45PM, 1.8M-.3M. I fished the last of the run out.

Moon Phase: New Moon, so quite a bit of run

Weather: 13c, 63% Humidity, Wind 11Km/h (I think it was way higher but cannot really record it myself)

Air Pressure: 1011.5 (Different to other days I've caught fish)

Bait used: Banana prawns, river shrimp, mullet, live and dead

Bait caught: Banana prawns x 8, mullet x 1, Glassy x 3.

Fish caught: - 

Tackle Used: 6"6' Ugly Stik and Rogue Firepoint Rod, 8" Ugly Stik rod, Size 2500 Shimano Nasci and Diawa Shinobi, Size 1000 Shimano Sienna, 14lb braid mainlines, 15, 20, 30lb leaders, 80lb trace, size 2 and 6 ball and bean sinkers, size 4/o suicide hooks and size 6/o circle hooks, Ecogear plastic, size 1/8th jig head, largish barrel swivel

Crustacean caught: Prawns x 8

Overall Success rate: 40% - Windy, numb hands, cold, donut. At least I got some prawns. 

OK, that is the report done. I may go out again on Sunday, but I think I'm going to have to start wearing thermals as it is that cold, especially for morning sessions. Hopefully the restriction are eased for COVID-19, and we can all stay safe despite it still being around. Hopefully you all enjoyed this report as well, I know it is boring. Sorry for any spelling mistakes. Hope you enjoyed 🙂

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

8 hours ago, GregOug said:

What amazes me is not the level of detail you put into your reports, but how on earth you remember every nibble, run, prawn caught etc etc. lol. Oh, to be young again.

Hi GregOug

Thanks for that, I normally use the photos I take to help with that, but today there was none so I just thanked myself that my memory worked 🙂 I think my memory will start fading with age though, LOL. 

7 hours ago, ellicat said:

Thanks Hamish. We have to have doughnut days so we appreciate the good sessions more.

Hey ellicat

Thanks for that, I have never looked at it that way but it sure seems very correct! 🙂 

Cheers Hamish