Nirvana

On 12/08/2020 at 7:26 PM, Nirvana said:

Today was my RDO so what better to do then go for a rip out Jumpinpin bar for the first time in 6 years!

I crossed the Bar at 1PM, just on high tide with barely any sea. I didnt really see much of a channel so just headed east. Lowest water i got down too was 4.1M with a majority being 4.5M this is with a tide of 1.7M which means as of 12/8/2020 there is 2.4M LAT (lowest astronomical tide). On a "normal" low tide there would be about 2.8-3M.

Please keep in mind i didnt see any gutters or channels becuase i wasnt putting much effort in looking for them. It may be deeper in them if there are any.

Bit of a mental hurdle for me anyway after nearly rolling my Seawasp in 2014 on that bar. I didnt really much around out there, just went out the bar and came back in. 

Nice work. I am a sook when it comes to bar crossings and only go when its flat. Nice to hear it is nice and deep. Next time will you take some rods? 

12 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Thanks mate,

Rods will be coming out with me for sure next time.

I have been crossing bars since i was ten with my family and bought my seawasp with my dad at 15. My problem was that i was becoming a bit laxy dazy and thinking i could cross bars and in any weather and tide i like.

That day in 2014 at about 4pm the tide was on a fast runout and waves were standing up. As usual i found a wave to sit on the back of and ride it in. Well the wave just completely disapeared from beneath me and the next wave behind absoulutely ploughed me. Filled the wasp with water and stalled the 30hp 2 stroke yam. Whilst i was trying to pull the old 30hp over another wave smacked me from the side and rolled the boat at about 80 degrees. About 60% of the water came out along with 2 nice rods, a bit of tackle and an empty jerry can. I got the outboard going again and held it flat all the way back to the ramp. That sure taught me anyway. This all happend under 1 to 1 and a half minutes.

I wasnt going to post my experince but in the end i thought it would be a good reminder to everyone. No matter how many times you have done something or for how long, you need to respect the ocean. 

Cheers and stay safe,

wow that is scary. Glad it turned out ok, you got lucky there. 

18 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Thanks mate,

Rods will be coming out with me for sure next time.

I have been crossing bars since i was ten with my family and bought my seawasp with my dad at 15. My problem was that i was becoming a bit laxy dazy and thinking i could cross bars and in any weather and tide i like.

That day in 2014 at about 4pm the tide was on a fast runout and waves were standing up. As usual i found a wave to sit on the back of and ride it in. Well the wave just completely disapeared from beneath me and the next wave behind absoulutely ploughed me. Filled the wasp with water and stalled the 30hp 2 stroke yam. Whilst i was trying to pull the old 30hp over another wave smacked me from the side and rolled the boat at about 80 degrees. About 60% of the water came out along with 2 nice rods, a bit of tackle and an empty jerry can. I got the outboard going again and held it flat all the way back to the ramp. That sure taught me anyway. This all happend under 1 to 1 and a half minutes.

I wasnt going to post my experince but in the end i thought it would be a good reminder to everyone. No matter how many times you have done something or for how long, you need to respect the ocean. 

Cheers and stay safe,

That's lucky you made it out relatively unscathed, I would be very nervous ever crossing a bar. I guess it's just one of those things where it's all about experience, Nirvana. The more you do it the more you get used to it! 

Cheers Hamish

3 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

That's lucky you made it out relatively unscathed, I would be very nervous ever crossing a bar. I guess it's just one of those things where it's all about experience, Nirvana. The more you do it the more you get used to it! 

Cheers Hamish

Experince definetly helps. If i could give any advice it would be to pick your weather. Some days like last wednesday are flat. You just have to remember the fish will always be out there. Theres always next time.

Cheers,