ggg

Hello everyone,

I have just gotten permission to purchase a small tinny for putting around Cairns. I don't intend on going much under 12 feet. I will also probably need a 6hp as well. Should I just go and get a 15hp or will a 6hp be enough for 3 people and gear? I won't be allowed to go by myself yet so there is not much point of a 6hp besides the price. I am not too impressed on the speeds I have seen with a 6hp but there is little I can do about it. Once you have been up to speeds of 53 knots, you don't want to go much slower!

Thanks and tight lines.

Hey Jaz44

I think a 6hp engine may be a bit risky. It may not power your boat. I have heard, I believe from a member on here called Luvit in one of his old reports, that due to the big tides some cannot get out the other way with a six horse power engine, and need to be rescued. 

So I would advice to go as big as you can afford, simply for safety. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

10 hours ago, Jaz44 said:

Thanks. I am looking at a 3.5m tinny with a 20hp Yamaha on the weekend. Could you fish 3 people in it? It will just be live baiting. 

We used to have a 3.2 with a 15hp yamaha. It was just ok to have Me, Mrs Drop Bear and the 2 little bears as well as a dog and an eski. A 3.5 with a 20 is a pretty good option. I hope it works out for you.