Rigs - Help

Kat

20 minutes ago, Kat said:

Okay.  So I have Braid to Fluro/Mono (whatever you call it.  The first bit of fluro is about the length of my rod then I have the swivel, then another bit of mono about 30 to 50cm long - the last part is called the leader right (or trace)?

God I feel stupid 

You shouldn't feel stupid. Stupid is going out without knowing and not having a good day. Like Ellecat said asking is the only way to learn. 

I am looking forward to you doing so much fishing you start teaching all of us a few tips and tricks. 

Kat, Junky is spot on, if you were to draw a picture of a 2metre leader and a 500mm trace

your paper would need to be at least 2.5 metres wide, so that's why the squigly lines are used.

They are also used in the building game on plans, I can't think what they are called, I could google it but

you get the drift. They are called break lines.

Edited by Angry51
Add imformation

TBH bread is my favourite bait and berley 10/10 would recommend as I’ve caught a lot of different speices with it. I mostly catch bream but I’ve caught Luderick whiting flathead leather jacket mullet and trevally with it I usually use a size 8 mustad fine worm hook with no sinker just the hook with bread on it works like a charm if your wanna catch a feed of bream . It works best near jetties wharfs and breakwalls as they usually swim past in schools . On sand flats in works well sometimes but not as productive as the breakwalls and jetties although I caught my PB bream with bread on a sand flat just depends on the day .last 2 hours of the run in i found best for bream fishing with bread 

4 hours ago, Kat said:

Thanks Guys!  I am off out with some burley for the first time and trying some stinky cheese and bread - an italian fisherman swears by.  Wish me luck.

Hey Kat

Like said above, I think they mean that your leader is longer.

To give you an idea, you'll normally have your mainline, which is the line coming off the reel, then a leader (which is connected to your mainline by a uni, shocker, albright knot, etc), then a swivel and sinker, and then a trace, and finally a hook. Often your leader is longest, and your trace is a bit shorter.

Sometimes you don't have a swivel and trace, and just tie a leader to your mainline. If using mono line, you don't normally bother with a leader (or you don't have to), but if using a braided mainline, you tie a leader on for abrasion resistance as braid has no stretch.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

15 hours ago, jon said:

Keep at it you’ll start to work out which techniques work best in your area with more time spent on the water.

ill give you a good tried and true method for any land based areas with good structure, ie pontoons jetties and rock walls etc.  it’s basically the land based technique of what we call float-lining when we are in a boat but it can be a lethal technique on the land as well so long as the tide is not racing too much. this should draw out some bread and butter species( best done around tide change but not essential if there is not a lot of flow or current)

first step is tie at least one rod length of light Fluro carbon leader (Fluro is different to mono in that it is less visible to fish In The water). 6 to 8 pound is a good starting point even though you will get busted off you’ll get plenty more hookups. Next tie straight to this ( no swivel sinker or trace) a small hook like a size 3/0. Then try as best you can to weave your bait into the hook so you can’t really see the hook medium size peeled  prawns are ideal. So are one or two yabbies. 

next you want to lob your bait close to the structure  but not so close that you won’t be able to land the fish and leave your bail arm on the reel open as you hold the line between your fingers and letting it naturally slide through as the bait drifts down the water column. Keeping your eyes on your line the whole time. When the line starts unnaturally ripping through your fingers immediately close the bail arm and its game on!

when I was younger I lost count of the amount of times this technique landed me quality bream when other techniques were not working. I use to love as a young fella heading to a pontoon or jetty just as the sun was coming up throwing some bread burley and using this technique (minus the Fluro lol) to catch a few bream for lunch.

best of luck!

Pro tip thanks. 

hip hop television GIF

On 01/09/2020 at 5:45 PM, Kat said:

Hamish - BTW - your explanation was very well written! Easy to understand. I'm impressed.

Thanks Kat, glad it helped. There are lots of things to learn about fishing over time so I'm sure you'll learn/figure more things out 🙂 

@GregOug, aren't you impressed? I writ a good explanation! 

Cheers Hamish

2 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Thanks Kat, glad it helped. There are lots of things to learn about fishing over time so I'm sure you'll learn/figure more things out 🙂 

@GregOug, aren't you impressed? I writ a good explanation! 

Cheers Hamish

Well done! Good to see those Southsiders haven’t completely befuddled your mind Hamish.