Help With Choosing New Reel

Kat

2 hours ago, Another Wazza said:

Oh what a slippery dark path it is, and heaven forbid Kat gets the taste of using a nice overhead, it’s all down hill from there.....

Perhaps one of you fine gentlemen down her way should introduce those to Kat, that will really confuse her.  Spinning reels or baitcasters/overheads that will be  the decision. So many choices.

Sorry Kat couldn't resist.

I actually started off with baitcasters, then on to overheads but spinning reels also have their place and I only own 3 of those now but those don't get much use.

OMG I can't believe how far I can cast!  I can't wait for decent weather and live bait.  Landed three just under legal size Bream today.  Can't wait to try for some Whiting.  Next mission(s) is to get a cast net for live bait, learn how to catch beach worms and learn how to use lures and catch some flathead.  Thanks for all the advice.

I’ve been fishing for flathead on plastics for awhile now and are pretty easy to catch on lures the first time I used plastics I caught a whole bunch . I’ve even caught them on small bream lures before . Plastics I recommend are zman 2.5 inch slim swims in any colour midnight oil and opening night are my faves  but all colours work pretty weel . And the new daiwa bait junkie 2.5 minnowz are a bit better then zman I haven’t used them much yet but I prefer the action feel and look over the zman . Jig heads I recommend are size size 1 with 1/8 weight they seem to work good in most places . And jig head brand i recommend is TT lures headlocks . Leaders from 6-12lb work well for flathead I would probably start off with 8 or 10lb leader for flathead because of their sharp teeth but i use 6lb leader for flathead and have never been busted off but I assume im more experienced when it comes to fighting flathead on light gear . Hope that helps for the flathead fishing when you get around that . I will add though most brands of plastics work well as along as you rig them straight . I prefer paddle tail plastics for flathead but curly tails and smaller jerk shad Plastics work well to 

34 minutes ago, Kat said:

OMG I can't believe how far I can cast!  I can't wait for decent weather and live bait.  Landed three just under legal size Bream today.  Can't wait to try for some Whiting.  Next mission(s) is to get a cast net for live bait, learn how to catch beach worms and learn how to use lures and catch some flathead.  Thanks for all the advice.

Great to hear Kat. Hopefully we can get some good weather next Friday and try it from a boat, if you are free. Hamish, try to keep Friday free too.

9 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

I’ve been fishing for flathead on plastics for awhile now and are pretty easy to catch on lures the first time I used plastics I caught a whole bunch . I’ve even caught them on small bream lures before . Plastics I recommend are zman 2.5 inch slim swims in any colour midnight oil and opening night are my faves  but all colours work pretty weel . And the new daiwa bait junkie 2.5 minnowz are a bit better then zman I haven’t used them much yet but I prefer the action feel and look over the zman . Jig heads I recommend are size size 1 with 1/8 weight they seem to work good in most places . And jig head brand i recommend is TT lures headlocks . Leaders from 6-12lb work well for flathead I would probably start off with 8 or 10lb leader for flathead because of their sharp teeth but i use 6lb leader for flathead and have never been busted off but I assume im more experienced when it comes to fighting flathead on light gear . Hope that helps for the flathead fishing when you get around that . I will add though most brands of plastics work well as along as you rig them straight . I prefer paddle tail plastics for flathead but curly tails and smaller jerk shad Plastics work well to 

I have my box of plastics and hard lures in front of me.  I have been lucky and have been given quite a few.  I will check them against your recommendations. Thanks

1 hour ago, Kat said:

I have my box of plastics and hard lures in front of me.  I have been lucky and have been given quite a few.  I will check them against your recommendations. Thanks

Most lure work well good luck with flathead fishing . I’m sure they will do the job fine flathead aren’t fussy eaters it’s more about weather and tides when it comes to flathead fishing 

49 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Most lure work well good luck with flathead fishing . I’m sure they will do the job fine flathead aren’t fussy eaters it’s more about weather and tides when it comes to flathead fishing 

Sand bars, soft plastics, and high tides are a recipe for a fab flatty in my opinion.

Good luck Kat - the new Nasci will be wonderful 🙂 

Cheers Hamish