igor

Hello everyone,

I am doing some drone fishing lately and monday I will go for 3 days in north stradbroke.

I never been to the island and I would like to ask for some good beach and some recommendations for catching jewfish/tailor/sharks/tunas.

For drone fishing it is important to not have too much sweep and not too much wind.

I can fly my bait out up to 1 kilometre.

thank you for your help!

I know tailor like surface lures and metals so that’s probably your best bet for tailor Idk much about jewfish and tuna but for sharks I found half a fish with gang hooks on and wire trace works magic I found from 6-8pm is best for shark fishing when I went On my Whitsundays trip I hooked so many sharks but my reel was crap and couldn’t hold much line and I whenever I got to 5 metres line left on the spool I would have to grab the spool so it didn’t take my line in the ocean the line usually snapped or I would pull the hooks on the shark one time I got one close to the boat and it pulled the hooks but my rig was just a 30cm trace going down to a gang of hooks and sharks loved it I just needed a reel that could hold more line and better hooks And I would have been good 

Hello igor

You probably don't need a drone to launch your line 1KM out and catch fish. Jewfish can be caught off rocky ledges, or deep gutters on the surf, at night. You can just cast out your line. Baits such as fish strips, pilchards, and live baits will hopefully produce for you. 

Tailor can be caught with pilchard or spinning metal slugs like Breaming with bro said above. Once again, you don't need to launch your line out with a drone - just simply cast it out in a gutter. Both Jewfish and Tailor are more Winter species. 

Tuna can be caught off the rocks with big metal slugs or livies.. And finally, sharks may be the only one you want to launch your line out for if you're fishing for really big ones. A heavy set up with the bait anchored out deep will hopefulyl get you one (But both these fish are Summer fish).

That advice is mainly what I have heard over time, sorry it's not my personal experiences. 

Cheers Hamish

19 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

Hey mate, heaps of whales around at the moment and in close too. Not sure about having that much line out, would hate to tangle one. Was kayaking off cylinder beach the other day and got passed by 8 in an hour. 

Its been a bit quiet of late, some kings around but not too many catches. Kinda in between seasons here. Tailor in numbers have moved on, GTs gone quiet. Always Spanish around but has been quiet with that too. Things will kick off a bit soon I hope. 

When do you find the Spanish and Spotties come back? 

On 03/10/2020 at 7:00 PM, igor said:

Hello everyone,

I am doing some drone fishing lately and monday I will go for 3 days in north stradbroke.

I never been to the island and I would like to ask for some good beach and some recommendations for catching jewfish/tailor/sharks/tunas.

For drone fishing it is important to not have too much sweep and not too much wind.

I can fly my bait out up to 1 kilometre.

thank you for your help!

Flinders Beach would be a good option for drone fishing, not much current or sweep and not big surf unless you get lots of Northerly Winds. I'm sure you can fish off the headlands too but normal fishing would be just as effective here. 

Main Beach is Huge and has lots of options but I can't vouch for sweep etc. 

53 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

When do you find the Spanish and Spotties come back? 

I think November December but not really sure! This is my first start of season experience since living here so I'll let you know 🙂 large winter Spanish have been regular catches by locals til the last few weeks, hopefully after the next southerly the Coriolis effect will bring some numbers of the school sized Spanish back to play again 

Edited by samsteele115

Just now, samsteele115 said:

I think November December but not really sure! This is my first start of season experience since living here so I'll let you know 🙂 large winter Spanish have been regular catches by locals til the last few weeks, hopefully the next southerly the Coriolis effect will bring some numbers of the school sized Spanish back to play again 

Are the locals using livies? 

1 minute ago, Drop Bear said:

Are the locals using livies? 

Yeah floating out livies whilst bottom bashing for snapper seems productive, what I've done a bit with my neighbour anyway. Summer seems to be more trolling focussed but to be honest that's when I like to bring out the surface lures instead and get that exciting topwater action