best times to go boating in moreton bay

rumrocket

hi , i have just purchased an old haines hunter v17 really good condition it has been suitably certified it has a suzuki df140 4stroke motor 350 hrs  ,but my question is what is the ideal conditions to head to say tangalooma from redcliffe im not to sure as i heard some horror stories and im new to the area

2 hours ago, rumrocket said:

hi , i have just purchased an old haines hunter v17 really good condition it has been suitably certified it has a suzuki df140 4stroke motor 350 hrs  ,but my question is what is the ideal conditions to head to say tangalooma from redcliffe im not to sure as i heard some horror stories and im new to the area

Hey Rumrocket,

Welcome to the forum. The V17 sounds like a great bay boat. 

The advice above is from 3 very experienced bay anglers. I would agree over 10 and it's uncomfortable in a 17 footer. 

I love to get up early and be home by 10am if there is a wind with any east in it. But saying that your boat would be safe in 15 knots and you can just go slow if you want to. If it is a bit rough, you will get home if you sit on 9-12 knots all the way and your back teeth are unlikely to bounce out. 

Its great over there, your boat is ideal for it. Just check out a few maps before you go as there are a few shallow spots on the way and have a ball.  

G'day rumrocket

First up, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll be able to find many different reports and opinions on what to go out in by using the search function (top right hand corner). 

I'd have to agree with the above. Wind against tide would make a very nasty combo from what I've heard. Also, like Steve said, keep in mind that the wind can often pick up unexpectedly in Summer (actually I'm totally stealing that from you @Old Scaley as you told me that when we went out fishing together) but in Winter the breeze will often stay the same for the whole time (or I think that's what I heard 😉). 

Cheers Hamish

P.S. What do you plan to do mainly? Fishing? Camping?

Congratulations on the new boat. I make the run from Clontarf to Tangalooma often in a 575c.

In your size boat and in fibreglass this is ideal for Moreton bay and plenty safe if you cruise to the conditions. 

Sounds like you have been around boats (v17 is a good purchase) so you just want some local intel.

Before i head out i'm planning the time I cruise out and cruise back in so that ideally I'm not travelling the main leg Clontarf to Tangalooma when there is any wind against tide. (BTW generally outgoing tide is south to north (Main Northern Moreton Bay) 

I'm looking for under 10-12knots if parts of the cruise are wind against tide and depending on how itchy I am to wet a line I may push to 13-15knots IF I can time my cruise/run with wind and tide together.

Although bearing in mind this won't be a "comfortable" day boating/fishing as 13-15 generally means gusts that can be considerably higher and cruising below your optimal speed