Advice for the weekend

Smithy16

Hey everyone long time follower first time poster. 

Was looking to go for a fish this weekend around the Brisbane, Redcliffe or gold coast area but with recent flooding and heavy rain I’m unsure where would be best to go. I will be landbased and hoping to catch whiting, bream, flattie etc. will have handbodies and sps but also happy to chuck bait around.

Any recommendations on some general spots that might fish well in these conditions? 

Also what type of water (eg river, creek, mouth of river, creek etc) 

Advice would be appreciated as Im looking to kill a dry streak 

cheers

Smithy

Unfortunately I don’t know the Brisbane area well I’m pretty sure it’s better for some one like @AUS-BNE-FISHO to respond for this thread but my advice would be to go closer to the ocean. when it rains heaps or floods all the fish go closer to the ocean. I would recommend fishing 2 hours before the dead low or fishing 2 hours before the top of the tide that is usually when you get the most fish I highly recommend using a paddle tail plastic or a lure with a lot of action as the Muddy water will delay some of the fish’s responses such as eye sight .and it will be harder for them to find food . So a lure with more action will make it easier for a fish to sense where you’re lure is . If you want to use bait make sure you Berley up well . I’ve had successful fishing sessions when the water is chocolate brown but it’s a lot harder to catch fish and you really have to put a lot of effort into to it although I mainly fish the higher more freshwater end of my local estuary system for bream and flathead and fishing closer to the closer to the ocean after a flood makes it a lot easier to catch fish . Hope that helps

I would suggest somewhere along golden beach at caloundra on the flood tide.  there hasn't been near as much rain on the sunny coast as the goldie.

failing that, the foreshores at redcliffe fish ok for whiting and bream, use fresh baits (yabbies, worms) and find an area with some sort of fish holding structure that differentiates it from the rest of the beach.  a gutter, a patch of rubbly rocks etc.  with the heavier swells and large tides from last week moving some sand around there should be some areas that are well worth a look.

On 17/12/2020 at 9:07 PM, Smithy16 said:

Hey everyone long time follower first time poster. 

Was looking to go for a fish this weekend around the Brisbane, Redcliffe or gold coast area but with recent flooding and heavy rain I’m unsure where would be best to go. I will be landbased and hoping to catch whiting, bream, flattie etc. will have handbodies and sps but also happy to chuck bait around.

Any recommendations on some general spots that might fish well in these conditions? 

Also what type of water (eg river, creek, mouth of river, creek etc) 

Advice would be appreciated as Im looking to kill a dry streak 

cheers

Smithy

Hey Smithy

I am not too sure on any spots that will fish particularly well in these conditions - but like BwB said, around creek and rivers mouths would probably be your best bait. The rising tide would probably bring the least amount of gunk into the river, so maybe you could focus your efforts around tat.

As for spots, you can try - 

- The mouth of the canal spot below the Hornibrook Esplanade

I'm sorry it wasn't in the exact spot, but those are some tactics for that area. (P.S. I'm not sure about languge so don't watch it on max volume in public 😉). 

- The mouth of the Kedron Brooke (so, the Nudgee Beach area)

- The mouth of North Pine River

- The mouth of Cabbage Tree Creek

- The mouth of Wynnum Creek

https://www.weekendnotes.com/wynnum-creek/

- Tingalpa/Lota Creek Mouth

- Tarradarrapin Creek (Aquatic Paradise), or at least around the mouth

- Hilliards Creek Mouth

- Columbus Canal

(Couldn't find anything so I'm not sure about this spot)

- Around Raby Bay canals

- Epapah Creek

- Moogarrapum Creek

- Weinam Creek

- Around the Logan River

- Sandy Creek

- Around the mouth of the Coomera/Pimpama Fishing

- Port of Brisbane/Brisbane River Creeks

(You'll be able to find heaps more on spots - try looking at Land and Bay Fishing first, then go to other channels).

Sorry it's a bit late and I hope it helps... The only one I really fish lots is the Brisbane River so if you need any tips on that let me know and I will try and help out 🙂 

Cheers Hamish