I keep losing baits

Idan

Hi All,

New to fishing here, I recently moved to Sydney from Auckland. Here I went to the store and got size 2 hooks, running sinkers, frozen prawn and pilchards. I cut the pilchards to 3 and was also taught how to half hitch the bait.

To my surprise, even with every parameter changed, the same thing that used to happen before happens here as well: I cast, I make sure the line is taught, nothing happens, I check it 5 minutes later and the bait is gone. Not even entirely sure what happens to the bait.

Meanwhile the guy next to me keeps reeling in fish left and right! I asked him for advice, but he didn't know what I was doing wrong. He also used frozen bait.

I also tried cotton before and it didn't help.

Lost and frustrated, though it must have happened to others before I couldn't find too much information on it... tips will be much appreciated.

Idan

6 minutes ago, Idan said:

Hi All,

New to fishing here, I recently moved to Sydney from Auckland. Here I went to the store and got size 2 hooks, running sinkers, frozen prawn and pilchards. I cut the pilchards to 3 and was also taught how to half hitch the bait.

To my surprise, even with every parameter changed, the same thing that used to happen before happens here as well: I cast, I make sure the line is taught, nothing happens, I check it 5 minutes later and the bait is gone. Not even entirely sure what happens to the bait.

Meanwhile the guy next to me keeps reeling in fish left and right! I asked him for advice, but he didn't know what I was doing wrong. He also used frozen bait.

I also tried cotton before and it didn't help.

Lost and frustrated, though it must have happened to others before I couldn't find too much information on it... tips will be much appreciated.

Idan

Try unweighted baits a lot of Aussie fish are smart and used to seeing things like sinkers and poorly rigged baits sometimes bream will take awhile just to eat berley . Try using unweighted bread or any bait just the hook and bait also try using a light leader of 4-8lb hold the rod keep slack line when the slack line slowly gets tighter let more line out and wait for a fish to take it for a run . You will know a fish has taken the bait when a fish is taking lots line off your spool .

2 hours ago, ellicat said:

The smallest size hook I'd use in pilchard cubes or tails/heads is a 2/0. Anything smaller won't hold it properly. Match the hook to your bait size. For prawns use a longshank hook that will neatly fit the bait.

I was thinking the same thing Brian. A size 2 hook, let alone a size 4!, would get lost in a third of a pilchard. Size 2/0 sounds about right to me.

6 hours ago, GregOug said:

I was thinking the same thing Brian. A size 2 hook, let alone a size 4!, would get lost in a third of a pilchard. Size 2/0 sounds about right to me.

Really I’ve always found size 4 hooks to have good hook up rate anything bigger I’ve found you hook a lot of small fish and it makes the bait look unnatural i normal would use half a philchard unweighted with a size 4 and end up with good results . I could understand using a 2/0 for a whole phillchard but half a philchard or with cubes doesn’t make sense to me won’t there be more hook then bait . I’ve also found larger hooks can ruin/tear the bait 

6 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Are we talking WA pilchards about 10 to 15 centimetres long and an inch thick ?

Yeah I'd say we have a mix up. Im with you.

A Frogmouth pilchard would need a 2/O or larger. Larger imo. 

I use 7/O' and if the pilchards are fat it can be difficult to get the point exposed with a 7/O. 

If the hook doesn't pass all the way through, you're wasting your time. The point must be exposed and clear of any scales.  

Also, cut pilly in half, not 3rds. 

I'd also put a full pilly out. 

Yep mate your hook is too small for big pilchards. 

Get some frogmouth pillies for bream if you wanna use #2 hooks or bump up to #2/0 - 4/0s if you want to use bits of large pillies. 

I often catch bream on 6/0 circle hooks when targeting snapper. While I sure am not recommending this for a bream it is interesting that they can still take such a big hook. 

IMHO 2/0 circle hook with a frogmouth pilchard will see you do better. 

Hey Idan

Welcome to AFO!

Some excellent advice has been given above. I just wanted to say to the opposite - you could try different, smaller baits. For example, you could try little prawns or bits of pipis which would hopefully see you get similar results with a smaller hook, which means you'll still hook up to fish with the smaller hook 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

56 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Idan

Welcome to AFO!

Some excellent advice has been given above. I just wanted to say to the opposite - you could try different, smaller baits. For example, you could try little prawns or bits of pipis which would hopefully see you get similar results with a smaller hook, which means you'll still hook up to fish with the smaller hook 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

I always wondered what those small hooks in my tackle box were for.

2 minutes ago, Idan said:

Thanks everyone, I certainly have many tips to try out. I am fishing in Blues point and other spots around central Sydney, if anybody else from the area wants to go for a fish that would be best.

Mate, we’re all poor on here. Can’t afford to live in Sydney. In fact , most of us can’t even afford to live on the Northside of Brisbane. They’re stuck on the Southside.

6 minutes ago, GregOug said:

Mate, we’re all poor on here. Can’t afford to live in Sydney. In fact , most of us can’t even afford to live on the Northside of Brisbane. They’re stuck on the Southside.

Poor are the ones who have to grind a 9-5 in Sydney, to be able to afford buying a place outside of it in the future! 🙂

• 3 months later...