Fraser after boxing day

WhyBA CREEK

Looks like you will have an easterly wind, which is the best you can get for that area. It might be a bit bumpy from Urangan to Moon Point, but you will have a smooth run up the inside of the island. Leave as early as you can so you can catch the high tide (the entrance can be shallow and also it will be easier to unload from the boat). 

Don’t forget you need a camping permit, and a lockable dingo box for all your food and read the National Parks info on staying dingo safe. We used to take a length of conduit to whack on the ground to scare away any dingoes that got too close. Definitely no campfires. Try to get a camp spot on the northern spit, it is much nicer than the southern side.

That’s all I have. Enjoy your trip.

Hey Tim

@Old Scaley has mentioned heaps and heaps I didn't even know off, but I just thought that it will be really busy then, seeing as though it's holiday time and just before New Years, so I'd be expecting some company in quite a few places. Have a good trip and I hope you manage a few.

Cheers Hamish

Thanks for the tips guys very much appreciated. Yeah, the thought of crowds is putting me off. Thanks for tips on the dingos and the permit. Totally forgot about that, it's been so long since I've been to Fraser. 

Apart from the dingos is it safe to leave your camping gear unattended? Sad question but it is a sign of the times? 

32 minutes ago, WhyBA CREEK said:

Another question....leaving the car & trailer at the boat ramp for a couple of days. Is that a safe thing to do or is there an option? I have a trailer lock but nothing is unbreakable

I'm not sure on the safety either, but hopefully you'll be OK, particularly with a lock. If you're really worried, I'm pretty sure @Luvit used to book a campsite at the caravan park (presumably right next door) to leave his car and trailer at. 

Good luck and stay safe - hope you have a ball with your sons, and some nice fish would be a bonus 🙂.

51 minutes ago, WhyBA CREEK said:

Another question....leaving the car & trailer at the boat ramp for a couple of days. Is that a safe thing to do or is there an option? I have a trailer lock but nothing is unbreakable

It is a really big carpark. Your best bet is to park up near the Air Sea Rescue tower near the ramps. It is well lit and I think there might even be a camera in that area. There will also be lots of people moving around that part of the carpark at this time of the year. As @kmcrosby78 mentioned, there is a caravan park close to the ramp but you might struggle to get a booking at this late stage. 

It was so much fun. It's always great to have your knots tested to the limit and rod n reel for that matter. The spool was actually getting pretty hot. Luckily I had the 2 boys in the boat with me so we could chase it but it was lumpy & at one point with me on the bow, a wave came right over. I screamed to hit the bilge pump and by the time the shark hit I looked up and it seemed like we were half way out to Norfolk Island. I put a long range tank in so one less thing to be concerned with. You get so focused on one thing it's easy to miss a blue giraffe standing next to you (so to speak). I think the difference between me getting a hit and the boys was that I was letting the slug sink before ripping it in. I reckon it got hit within the first 4 turns of the handle. 

It's blowing a gale here at Noosa (no offence meant Gail), squalls keep coming through, I'm sitting on the back deck watching 3 different weather apps and the Bom hoping there's a change. It's not worth going out in the river, there are sooooo many people in town. A case of hurry up n wait