Nice Day on the Nerang

AUS-BNE-FISHO

4 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Thanks Angry. Hopefully I get alright at it soon. 

Cheers Brian, that would be good!

Thank you Steve. My filleting definitely needs improving. I am very slow at it too. Practise makes perfect, I guess! 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

Catch more fish mate. Easiest way to get more practice! 😂 my offer from some time ago still stands in this regard.

On 26/09/2021 at 7:03 PM, Jono4500 said:

Nice day fellas and hamish good work particularly on your record keeping and stats you put up on your trip reports. 

Thanks Jono. It's always helpful to try and find a pattern in the stats.

On 26/09/2021 at 7:34 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

Looks like a fun day out fellas and a few keepers for a feed is better than none 😎

Cheers KM, sure is!

21 hours ago, benno573 said:

Catch more fish mate. Easiest way to get more practice! 😂 my offer from some time ago still stands in this regard.

Thanks a heap Benno. I will take you up on the offer if I catch a lot of fish one day. 

4 hours ago, Kat said:

Sounds and looks like a great day.  The summer whiting will be more plentiful soon!  

Sorry, I have to laugh about the very expensive live bloodworms being tossed overboard lol.  Yes it would have been embarrassing but sounds like you were trying to help out so good on ya.

Hamish, have you watched many YouTube videos on filleting and skinning fish?  Try it, that is how I taught myself.  I am by no means quick, but don't leave much flesh behind (usually) and very occasional bones.  When I first started I would watch the video through, then play it again while filleting, pausing as necessary.  Good knives and regularly sharpening them properly are also key to success.  I think you have enough fishing gear now.  Ask for filleting, boning or skinning knives for Christmas 😸

Cheers Kat, it sure was. I'm still embarrassed about those worms 😞 

I never knew there were so many different knifes. I just have one sharp Rapala one.

2 hours ago, Andrew_P said:

Hamish it doesn’t matter if you leave some flesh behind when filleting. Use a teaspoon to scoop up the remaining flesh from the frame and put it into a clip lock bag (free of blood and scales if possible). By the time you’ve finished a few fish there should be enough fish mince for some fish cakes or sang choy bow (Thai mince dish). It works better with larger fish but the best thing is the poorer you are at filleting the richer your fish mince bag will be!

Thanks Andrew. That's a really good idea. I'll definitely try it.

Cheers Hamish

On 01/10/2021 at 12:35 PM, Drop Bear said:

Yum. Well done mate. 

Thanks Robbie.

On 01/10/2021 at 12:35 PM, Drop Bear said:

When are you getting a boat? 

Hopefully when I'm sixteen! Lol. That reminds me - I should start learning more theory about the boating license so I can get it quicker when I'm sixteen. 

On 01/10/2021 at 10:35 PM, fishingnut said:

There are some big whiting getting about

8B4D0F52-C2E8-4718-9320-4DA4E5A2FDE7.jpeg

That's huge fishingnut. Wouldn't of minded catching that one! 

Cheers Hamish

P.S. Sorry for the late reply all. I managed to miss these replies.