Fast trolling lures and techniques

Drop Bear

On 29/12/2021 at 6:14 AM, Drop Bear said:

The boat has large outriggers so I want to tow a spread of 5. I have enough rods but I think I need to upgrade a few reels and thought I'd get some more Tyrnos 20s. (Should I get 30s?)

Hi Drop Bear, I used to have both the Tyrnos 20 and the 30, from memory, the main difference is that the 30 is a wide version of the 20, so it just has more line capacity, all the rest of the spec's such as retrieve rate, drag power are the same.

So it would really depend on what you are chasing and if the boat can run down the fish should you hook a big one. Having said that, both of these reels hold a decent amount of line. You know the old saying " bigger is better"!😉 although I did end up selling my 30 first.

When you come back and if you are into "Ballooning", then the 30 would be better, as you would let out 100-200+ meters of line just to get the bait out to the right area and still have lots of line in reserve.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers

Ed.

Hi Robbie,

My two cents worth, which is probably worth more like no cents (or nonsense), but anyway, here goes.

I have a Tyrnos 16 single speed and a couple of Tyrnos 20 two speeds. I think the 20s would suit what you are looking to do. 

Some lures that I have which are suitable for trolling at 12 knots, and you may like to consider, are:

1. Halco GT Stickbait 180mm 178g - colours Bonito or Red Tiger;

2. Strike Pro Dorado;

3. Polu Kai Tail Pipe - I like the Morning Mist one;

4. Zerek Speed Donkeys - I have a few of these. They come in some great colours. I like the Slimy Mackerel or Chocolate Rose; and

5. Live Target Spanish Mackerel - 12 knots might be a bit high, better suited up to 10 knots.

cheers

Greg

p.s The photos and links below in order are 1, 3, 2, 4 and 5.

https://www.marine-deals.com.au/halco-gt-stickbait-180mm-178g?q=halco red &h=10

ACC46FB2-9AB9-4BEC-ABA2-4A58B481E9F3.jpeg

CC90EAE5-3F10-4195-920E-B72D959AD973.jpeg

1E3F9B04-182A-47D1-A711-F7E22068B1AE.jpeg

C8A8E4B8-E08D-46E0-915A-5C5FCF3C3AB8.webp

On 29/12/2021 at 5:32 PM, benno573 said:

Hey mate, there’s plenty of hard bodies that claim they will run up to 12kn and more but skirts are a lot more reliable. Heavier hex heads run well and create good bubble trails. I personally would run heavier than 40lb line but that’s just me.

50lb? 

On 29/12/2021 at 8:25 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

When is the trip?

Oh and darn nice muddies there - yum!!

Trip is in September. So a long way away. I will need to purchase a couple of set ups. 

The muddies were not thick and when the wind kicked in I pulled the pin and pulled out the pots. The 3 we got were delicious and worth the effort. I think it is time for me to upgrade my pots however. The old ones are more patched holes than original net with rusty rings these days 🙂

On 29/12/2021 at 8:33 PM, Another Wazza said:

Zerek make a hardbody called the “speed donkey” and claim it’s good for 15kts, I’ve never tried one though so can’t really comment, just thought for $20 it may be of interest?

Thanks mate they look good. I will grab a few for sure. Will try them out in the bay. 

Sorry Drop Bear, just read the first post and didn't realize it is not a charter company that you are going with but with friends, so nothing to go by as to what to expect. Either way any of the gear mentioned will still do the job. Incidentally are you providing any of your gear for others to use or is everyone bringing their own gear? If you aren't targeting any of the jumbo sized fish then the 30 sized and under reels should be suitable.

I would still recommend getting the kidney harness and gimble setup.

For example:

https://www.wellsystackle.com.au/_products//Accessories/FishingGIMBALBELTSHARNESSES/AftcoFishingHarness-MAXFORCEXH1-8110-21288-.aspx

https://www.wellsystackle.com.au/_products//Accessories/FishingGIMBALBELTSHARNESSES/AftcoFishingGimbal-CLARIONFightingBelt-8110-21290-.aspx

or

https://www.wellsystackle.com.au/_products//Accessories/FishingGIMBALBELTSHARNESSES/BlackMagicFishingEqualiserGIMBALBELTHARNESSSET-8110-1214-.aspx

Personally I got the Aftco Maxforce XH1 for myself as I liked it better than the Black Magic one and made a Gimbal rod belt to suit, but there are other options out there as well. I already had  a full harness but didn't like using it as it placed way to much pressure on the back where as using the stand up kidney one, puts the pressure on your hips and legs so you don't feel the strain nearly as much and is much more relaxing.