I just did some Googling and Brian's is definitely a Maori Cod - giveaways are the yellow on the fins, the white-ish vertical band about two-thirds of the way towards the tail, and that it has stripes along the body, whereas Wirra seem to have dots instead.

Great haul there @ellicat and @benno573 - well worth the trip. Enjoy those fillets 🙂. Brian - when you say chunk baiting the whiptails, do you mean just chopping to fish across the body into long chunks, or did you fillet and strip bait them? I catch them around Green so might start trying them 🙂.

1 hour ago, kmcrosby78 said:

I just did some Googling and Brian's is definitely a Maori Cod - giveaways are the yellow on the fins, the white-ish vertical band about two-thirds of the way towards the tail, and that it has stripes along the body, whereas Wirra seem to have dots instead.

Great haul there @ellicat and @benno573 - well worth the trip. Enjoy those fillets 🙂. Brian - when you say chunk baiting the whiptails, do you mean just chopping to fish across the body into long chunks, or did you fillet and strip bait them? I catch them around Green so might start trying them 🙂.

I agree that what we both caught were Māori Cod. I’ve just been giving them the wrong name all these years. Lol.