Urgent Beach Worming Queries

Kat

Hi All 

Bit of a late query but we have decided to give beach worming a go this afternoon on the outgoing tide on the GC.  I have previously located beach worms at Narrow neck Beach on the GC (but couldn't catch one).  Was thinking of trying the beach further up near the sand Pumping Jetty this afternoon.  

If anyone could tell me if they know of worms there? Or any other nearby location would be great.

Cheers Kat

19 hours ago, Neil Stratford said:

Hi Kat , my father thought me to catch them when I was about 5 years old . It’s a skill that all fisher people should learn. Very Good to see that your willing to give it a crack.👍

Here’s a tip for you ~ they don’t like the wind. They’ll only pop their heads up for a second or two before retreating in this kind of wind, pretty sure it’s not going to be a very productive worming mission for you today.. .🙈 I’ve taught  a few people over the years. I’ll try and find a link to decent online video for you . Give it a crack for a while and if you don’t have any success I’ll find some time to show you. 
regards

neil

Awesome thanks Neil.  So I had no luck and gave up - there was alot of swearing and jumping up and down. The wind was horrific will try again on a better day.  The BF eventually got two whole worms after many many many unsuccessful attempts.  He then started breaking them off and it was late and we called it a day.  I will watch the vid and give it a few more goes before calling in the expert 🤞

17 hours ago, Kat said:

The BF eventually got two whole worms after many many many unsuccessful attempts.  He then started breaking them off and it was late and we called it a day.

Nice one Kat, Its a skill worth your learning. For me I like to give them the bait, then dig my fingers under the sand in a spot where I can pinch them, wait until they arch then firmly clamp down and pull out straight away. Don't snatch at them. you move, not so much slowly but calmly. This video has a great shot of it at about 1.11

I know there are some professional wormers that used to work the spit. Plenty up there just a matter of the right day. I have seen one guy pull one out with their toes then pull out the worm they are on with their hands... I can't imagine ever doing this.. haha.