Slow Morning at Caloundra

ellicat

• ellicat changed the title to Slow Morning at Caloundra

Nice work Kat and Brian! I’m glad you got onto a few decent fish. It’s a real shame about the big snapper though. 

Was that in a similar area to where you fished with Benno the other week?

That flatly is so tiny I could hardly make it out in the photo 😂. At least you didn’t donut, @Old Scaley.

Cheers Hamish

1 minute ago, Old Scaley said:

Can’t complain about that bag, @ellicat and @Kat. You are starting to get a bit of mojo in the ellicat hope, Brian. @AUS-BNE-FISHO, we did put together a small feed of average summer whiting that trip, and a few small flatties on the troll. 

Yes, we did. However it is a funnier story to just show one pic. haha

3 hours ago, benno573 said:

@Kat - that is a brown hussar and as long as they are 25cm+ should be added immediately to your esky.  they taste just as good as that stripey you got.

don't tell everyone my not-so-secrets either... 😉

My lips are sealed - but I definitely plan on a trip there again.  Hopefully my fishing skills will have improved by then!

Thanks for the ID!

So without dissing Brian, I am quite shocked that he considered yesterday a slow day! So slow that he thought it should be the title of the post! Especially since we caught 12 potential keepers the last time we went out fishing together.

12 sharks and 2 stingrays.  Brian has a few stills from his Go Pro but I can't locate them to post.

Do sharks a s stingrays not count? Lol

Bit of a bummer I didn't keep the Hussar.  Will make Brian call you and send a pic next time @benno573.

anyway I thought yesterday was a fantastic fishing day and in my books definitely not slow.

Further research indicates the technical name is a striped sea perch lutjanus vitta but commonly referred to as a hussar. Grants guide agrees with me re edibility and says “they are not to be despised as a panfish”. Grow to 380mm apparently. Would fall under the category of “tropical snappers and sea perches” for legality purposes, bag limit 5. 

7 minutes ago, Kat said:

So without dissing Brian, I am quite shocked that he considered yesterday a slow day! So slow that he thought it should be the title of the post!

From launch to retrieve it was 7 hours fishing for 6 keepers, so that's a bit slow. Don't get me wrong, the day was great with plenty to keep us entertained. Very happy with the end result.