Escape pod

Lost at Sea

13 hours ago, Junky said:

Good on ya mate. 

That sounds awesome.

I'd love to get a yacht.

Wife can't do the rough weather, otherwise I'd have one now. 

S.V Delos is a great show on youtube. 

Brian started out novice and now 13 odd yrs later he's still going. Followed him for years.

That's Livin. 

I hope it all goes smoothly and definitely put up tails of your journeys. 

You'd find a deckie or two in the online groups that will sail legs with you etc. 

Don't have to be solo, unless you want to. 

I am addicted to sailing vids, I been watching free range sailing before they went to land, it was a catalyst for buying this boat...

If the missus will let you, you are welcome to come have a sail and fish.

On 09/07/2022 at 8:39 AM, Lost at Sea said:

I am addicted to sailing vids

I'm a bit the same - can go down into rabbit holes with a few of the channels 🙂

Been watching a couple (from NSW) on the Sailing Papao - Saved up and quit there corporate jobs to go sailing / spearfishing.

I say good on you for going for your dream as well.

On 08/07/2022 at 10:06 AM, Lost at Sea said:

I bought a cel-fi and apparently they get reception up to 40 to 50nm out

I'm interested in hearing about how you go with this, here in moreton bay reception is patchy / non-existent is certain parts. Wouldn't mind always having mobile phone coverage while in and around the bay for complete peace of mind.

I know i have the marine radio, but i'd probably fumble my way through radio procedures if / when i need to radio in for assistance.

Anybody else have / use one of these cel-fi's?

On 10/07/2022 at 7:42 AM, rayke1938 said:

What power unit does it have? Auto pilot? Radar? Decent radio that will work in the tropics ? ( Bit iffy relying on others to relay forecasts) Not very nice up north in cyclone season. Mobiles do not cut it 100k out.

Power is split into 3 parts, start battery, 3 x 120ah AGM in parallel so 360ah @12 and 48v 8kwh lifepo4 (2 x 48v powerplus 4kwh),  2 x 540w panels in series and a 2000w turbine feeding the 48v system, a 540w panel feeding into the 12v.

If you mean motor? is a volvo penta 23hp in mint condition, uses about a litre an hour.

Has autopilot, am looking at a radar and a forward looking radar. Has all the electronics I need and will get backups in case of failure, ie; second autopilot.

my years provisions include

50kg nuts (peanuts, cashews, brazil, pecan and maccas), 50kg dried fruit powder so I can make juices (beetroot, spinach, strawberry, mango, seaweed, carrot, flaxseed meal etc etc). I bought 5kg powdered garlic and 5kg powdered ginger. Vietnamese rice paper rolls, vietnamese noodles, rice... 20kg coconut water powder, 21kg dehydrated mash potato (each 7kg makes 42kg). 5kg mixed herbs (butcher supplies), have dehydrated 20kg peas, 20kg green beans, 20kg carrot, 6 dozen eggs and 10kg onion (am taking the dehydrator with me). I got heaps of tinned goods. I bought oats and enough yoghurt culture to make yoghurt whenever I want. 50 milk powders, 2000 teabags (gone off the coffee) 25 shelf stable cheddar blocks and whatever else I forgot to add.

There are two fridges, one built in and one I bought that I will use as a freezer, I will cryovac meat as I need (vacuum sealer with 12m of bags was something stupid like $50 off ebay).

Water maker means I don't need to worry about drinking water but I have bought himalayan salt for the minerals taken out from maker.

Now the question is.... What do you guys think I need to fill tackle box to last the trip? I was worried about buying flash gear with all the salt. I have a ugly stik blue water combo and a penn 340GT combo, looking for any other rod/reel combo you think I might need. I bought 400 suicides, wire, sinkers and braid. Some ****** lures so up for suggestions there.

1 hour ago, Lost at Sea said:

Now the question is.... What do you guys think I need to fill tackle box to last the trip? I was worried about buying flash gear with all the salt. I have a ugly stik blue water combo and a penn 340GT combo, looking for any other rod/reel combo you think I might need. I bought 400 suicides, wire, sinkers and braid. Some ****** lures so up for suggestions there.

A couple of large spools of strong hand lines with spoons/lures for mackerel and tuna, very cheap, simple and effective, to trail behind the boat when travelling on the ocean. Plus a few bait jigs in different sizes. Probably be good to also get 1 or 2 lighter rod setups as well. Ugly's are quite resilient and they can usually fit multiple line classes too.

Get yourself some Halco Laser Pros in a variety of sizes and depths. Grab a few with red heads and white bodies, then grab a selection of other colours (I like purple) for those rare days that the 'QANTAS' coloured lure doesn't work. They are pretty cheap but very effective when trolling for pelagics.

You'll also want some slugs for casting at mackerel and tuna. Again Halco - Twisties are the go. Get a range of sizes from 10 grams and up in both gold and silver. You can also throw some soft plastics around for pelagics too. Start with 5inch and get bigger. As you'll be spinning and want some distance I'd say get a range of jigheads from 1/2 oz. to 1 1/2oz. Hook size around 7/0.

• 2 weeks later...

I  bit the bullet and bought a self steering wind vane to help out since I got some extra cash from this mess. Settled on property on 25th, 5 mins before settlement, solicitors get back to me and tell me (despite paying for searches and not receiving them) that property is 10a and not 1a approved so contacted their solicitor about the misrepresentation and I got the choice to terminate contract or go ahead with a reduction in price. With so little time before I head to boat I chose the reduction since it is a ghost town in bum f**k QLD where the council seems to leave people alone, the solicitors refunded their fees too. Not the end of the world as I contacted a retrospective building mob to ask, since it built well using bluescope, has been up for 5 years and has power and septic, they think I might be able to do a re zone relatively easy.

278421325_4262199550549538_5224232987782420781_n.jpg

28 minutes ago, Angry51 said:

I reckon that'd be like running down the road on cruise with couple

trailers hanging on behind while you had a snooze.

No thanks, I don't think I'd be able to sleep.😅

I don't think there are any options...............if solo sailing auto pilot would be a must unless you wanted some sleep or hang at an anchorage every night.

Less crazy people on the seas compared to our roads. and also less things to hit although we have all seen new stories of beacons / buoys being hit at night.

28 minutes ago, Angry51 said:

No thanks, I don't think I'd be able to sleep.😅

Or you would be sleeping with a life vest on 😅