Tailor Along the Sandgate Foreshore

Daryl McPhee

1 hour ago, Hweebe said:

How does the Sandgate foreshore fishing compare to the Jetty? 

I always see people fishing on the Shorncliffe jetty but never thought about trying the foreshores for Tailor

I prefer the foreshore at night for tailor in winter. I have found over the 30 years I have fished up that way that the foreshore has consistently more legal fish with a lot more undersized fish congregating around the jetty. However, with a big westerly blow the Pier can produce. 

3 minutes ago, Daryl McPhee said:

I prefer the foreshore at night for tailor in winter. I have found over the 30 years I have fished up that way that the foreshore has consistently more legal fish with a lot more undersized fish congregating around the jetty. However, with a big westerly blow the Pier can produce. 

I must give this ago - I've braved the spit for tailor at night and the foreshore looks like good fun and a lot more comfort 🙂

1 hour ago, ellicat said:

Sounds like a fun little session, @Hweebe. Good news - you didn't have to clean the boat afterwards.

I've found the boat clean goes a lot faster if you manage to get some fish on board after a long days fishing 🙂

Plus I apply the old saying when i was back at uni waiting kitchens / cafe tables. "If you are leaning you should be cleaning" hahahaha

Good stuff Hweebe. 

Float fishing is popular among a few people there but I have generally found that they catch more smaller fish on average. The smaller fish are in close and I tend to throw wide with the Alvey's and long rods to some bare patches that I know are there to get a few better fish. There is often a random flathead! 

On 22/07/2022 at 1:07 PM, Daryl McPhee said:

Good stuff Hweebe. 

Float fishing is popular among a few people there but I have generally found that they catch more smaller fish on average. The smaller fish are in close and I tend to throw wide with the Alvey's and long rods to some bare patches that I know are there to get a few better fish. There is often a random flathead! 

Pro tip - thanks, might try another time with the 9 or 10 foot surf rods another time to see if we can get onto a legal tailor. Just need this rain/wind/tide to play the game 🙂