Catching Broadwater Tailor

Daryl McPhee

9 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

So much fun. We got a few at the break wall at the port of Brisbane this week as well. Seems it is still a very healthy fishery. 

Thanks for the post Daryl. I'm heading to Minjerriba on Sunday. I will throw a few slugs around and see if they are there. 

Hey Drop Bear.

The second rock groyne sticking out from the Caravan Park at Pulan Pulan use to hold a few tailor, but I haven't chased them there for a long time. 

I will be back there in Oct with a big load of American and Norwegian students. I'll be chasing snapper, grassies and tuskies from the backyard then .

D

9 hours ago, ellicat said:

Nice going.

Did I see that your trace is pretty short ?

Well spotted. I run the sinker on the trace so the sinker sits right on the gangs. This centres the weight and greatly increases the casting distance for the given sinker size. You can get tricky and use a barrel sinker which also provides extra protection from bite offs without the need for wire. 

13 hours ago, Hweebe said:

Any tide times better for the Broadwater tailor or do you just aim for the arvo / twighlight conditions?

I can get them on most tides where I fish. There are a couple of spots which fish a bit better at low tide and a couple of others that fish best at high tide, but overall I focus on the late afternoon/evening. 

On 05/08/2022 at 7:52 AM, Drop Bear said:

So much fun. We got a few at the break wall at the port of Brisbane this week as well. Seems it is still a very healthy fishery. 

Thanks for the post Daryl. I'm heading to Minjerriba on Sunday. I will throw a few slugs around and see if they are there. 

Its an interesting fishery that's for sure, where I am (around tweed) last year was great, the year before not so much.

From what I see most of the fish from choppers to old breeding size greenbacks are kept, I only really know a few fellow fishermen who let the majority of their fish go. It will be interesting to see how its managed and sustained over the next few years, maybe some things like the size limit might change (https://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/call-to-increase-legal-length-of-tailor-in-nsw) to keep the stock up. hopefully its handled well as tailor are definitely one of my favourite fish.

On 07/08/2022 at 5:39 PM, fishofelix said:

Its an interesting fishery that's for sure, where I am (around tweed) last year was great, the year before not so much.

From what I see most of the fish from choppers to old breeding size greenbacks are kept, I only really know a few fellow fishermen who let the majority of their fish go. It will be interesting to see how its managed and sustained over the next few years, maybe some things like the size limit might change (https://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/call-to-increase-legal-length-of-tailor-in-nsw) to keep the stock up. hopefully its handled well as tailor are definitely one of my favourite fish.

Here is a bit of biological information on them. Ask Dr Dazza | Tailor (moretondaily.com.au)