Old rods and blanks - Snyder glas, Butterworth, Wilson, Jarvis walker

Andrew_P

Hi AFOers, 

Just wondering if anyone has any old/original condition Snyder glas, Butterworth, Wilson or Jarvis Walker fishing rods (or even better - rod blanks) in the shed they want to part with? Surf or boat/estuary rods. I’m keen to recondition a few for my own use and love the thought of using the rods I grew up with with my boys. 

pics for reference

If you do, please send me some pics and we can work out a price that suits. 

cheers

andrew

DB3614DE-D58A-421D-9F79-0497A09CB112.png

CD43B56A-5619-4D52-82B4-49EDD50192B3.jpeg

7F8C8503-612A-4383-85EC-E1F28610569E.png

20E98A9A-57D8-401D-A6CF-E7AE22223516.png

Edited by Andrew_P
added Wilson

Yes the Snyder Glas rods are very very hot at the moment and old ones are selling for a fortune, wish I had a couple of old ones sitting in the shed.  

Apparently a lot of people hitting garage sales and estate sales buying them for $5 from people who don't know and cleaning up........Not my cup of tea.  

A lot are being refurbished too.  

I know nothing about them and not sure what makes them so desirable, especially to beach anglers. Hope you get a few mate 🙂  

Text me a pic of your broken handle and i'll see if i can fix it Bwian! 

Yes unfortunately @WildeFishing there's a strong market for them which leads to people showing their true colours.

I'm after a few rods for my own use that i can fix up myself. Wilson now control the supply of the "new" snyder blanks and they are around the $120-$180 mark. 

Cheers

Andrew

• Andrew_P changed the title to Old rods and blanks - Snyder glas, Butterworth, Wilson, Jarvis walker
3 minutes ago, Andrew_P said:

Text me a pic of your broken handle and i'll see if i can fix it Bwian! 

It's just a case of the handle/grip/reel seat slipping around the blank. Not sure a photo could show it. I would think that it just needs to be glued back together ??

Have a look when you pick up the Snyder. If you can fix it or not, so be it.

I bought one of the last Len Butterworth blanks off Rext Hunt when he ran the Complete Angler in Flinders St I think back in the 80's.

It's a beast of a rod, 8176 blank.  Need to bring it back to life someday.  

I also have a few other Snyders of course.  The glass blanks are much better for setting the hook in my opinion, especially for Tailor, either spinning or baiting.

Sorry Andrew,I'm keeping them of course 🙂

• 1 month later...

I love Snyder Glas too. I currently have 7, ranging from an old ultra-light (based on the old Browning M1 blank), a FT60, two FT67's, a MT484 extended to use as a light surf rod, a FT120-4W and one custom built as a 7' 6" barra rod by ATS that looks to be 10 to 15kg, that I am currently refurbishing (along with an Ironglass GH4, and a Jarvis Walker Shoalhaven) plus a few repairs.
Not sure if I'd sell any, (definitely not the M1, FT60 or the 67's) but if I decide to sell some I'll definitely let you know.
Biggest problem is that the postage would be a killer!

On 09/11/2022 at 12:06 PM, WildeFishing said:

Yes the Snyder Glas rods are very very hot at the moment and old ones are selling for a fortune, wish I had a couple of old ones sitting in the shed.  

Apparently a lot of people hitting garage sales and estate sales buying them for $5 from people who don't know and cleaning up........Not my cup of tea.  

A lot are being refurbished too.  

I know nothing about them and not sure what makes them so desirable, especially to beach anglers. Hope you get a few mate 🙂  

Snyder Glas blanks were very popular with builders in the 70's and 80's.

Always had a reliable working curve, be it ST, MT or FT and their Backbone is solid, easy to find and super easy to distinguish from the minor BB. Could be a little finnicky with the ribs, but no real issue for passably experienced rod builders.
Basically if you built around a Snyder blank you could be confident of a solid result.
Heavier wraps were very popular for surf rods, especially the 7-144. It could cast a 6oz all day long in the hands of the experienced, no tricks or sprays.
I've built heaps on them and if/when I find one in a Garage sale will always snap it up cause I'm confident of doing something special with it.

And Andrew, if I do find one I'll let you know, even if it means that you get to rebuild and not me 😉 

Thanks for your info and offer @Sylvathorn! Probably a good time for an update. Since the original post I’ve managed to pick up a few original blanks (FT120 4w, MT144 8w, bastardized C96L 4w 2 piece, and a very special 6’ Flame Wrap 15-24kg live bait blank) as well as the Northcoaster Brian generously proffered. This adds to an original C108L 4w I have from childhood. It is amazing what people have sitting in the rafters!

I’ve also purchased a couple of the new “Snyder” blanks that Kilwell have been rolling on the old Snyder mandrels. They are expensive but look the goods and will build very nice rods indeed. I’ll whack up a few pics for those interested. 

andrew

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...