Where to fish in Southern WA

JPF

Hi all,

I am heading to South of Western Australia from Singapore next month and would like to organize a fishing trip for my family.

I plan to travel down south from Perth to Albany, following the coastline.

Appreciate all guru's suggestions on 1) coastal fishing locations and the 2) type of bait to use to catch the 3) fish species.

I don't suppose I could do freshwater because I reckon I need license.

Many Thanks,

JP

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know if we've got any WA. members on the forum but someone

whose fished down there might see your post.

If you look on WA government web site under fishing you will find the

conditions re permit or/and license needed for freshwater fishing.

Hope you get some imfo and do enjoy your trip out here.

Good luck.

Hi JFP, I used to fish the Fremantle area quite extensively when I was younger (about 40 years ago) so can't give you any up to date info, and I never did fish too much south of there. But, if you are in the Fremantle area you could go and fish the North and South Moles, they are a breakwater system of rocks designed to protect the Fremantle harbour. I would go and catch herring on the North and South moles and live bait them out for Mullaway, mainly in the evenings. Some of them went 30Kg plus. You can also use pilchards on a set of ganged hooks. Don't throw the bait out too far as they are mainly in close to the rocks.

Also used to fish the wharves there as well, but not sure if it is still allowed or tolerated. Most of these areas produce heaps of Herring and decent sized Gar, as well as the full range of fish such as Trevally, Mullaway, Tailor etc.

Heading down south, the Cockburn sound produces (or did) a lot of Snapper, Slimy Mackerel, (for bait), King George Whiting etc., and most jetties are a good bet as well as rocky outposts /headlands. As I said before it has been a very long while since I was there, so you would also need to check on fishing licences, closed off areas etc., to make sure you aren't fishing in a prohibited area or closed season.

Further south, you come across large salmon schools which are seasonal and occasionally come in close to shore in bays, but I never had much luck with those. If I lived much closer, I would have targeted them more but the main large species I targeted was Mullaway and the Moles suited me as they were very close to where I lived and worked.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ed.

18 hours ago, Ed. said:

Hi Ed, thanks for sharing tons of useful info on the fishing grounds.  Yes, I heard of North/South Mole as a favourite fishing spot for many. I think I will stick to off-the-rocks there rather than running after salmon school beach-fishing with my light travelling gear 🙂

Thanks again,

JP