Reel suggestions for Millerod Finesse Freak

djpalmer88

Hey all, I've inherited a Millerod Finesse Freak rod without a reel. I was hoping for a few suggestions, but generally should I be looking for something around the 2500 size? Or go smaller? It's a light rod, so again assuming a reel on the lighter side. I likely won't be able to go out and try a few combos, but looking up to $500 I guess?

Thanks.

8 hours ago, ellicat said:

Well, in that case you shouldn't need a lot of line on the spool so you could go a pretty small reel. 2000 would be heaps for what you'll be using it for. As for the specific reel, I can't offer any advice on your budget. Personally I'd go mid range and have some left over for another outfit.

Yep sounds like a plan, thanks as usual.

Looks like a nice rod, I run 1000's on my light finesse rods. 

The Shimano vanford 1000 is probably the best value finesse reel around. It's hard to find a difference between it and a Stella that's how good it is. 

But it is a 5kg rod so you might be better off with 2000-2500 size reel and while the vanford's in that size are still really great reels, they aren't as good as the 1000.

But I'd maybe look at a shimano twin power in a 2500 for that rod or a Diawa Luvias LT, this one's on special and in your ball park price range, they are a great finesse reel. 

https://anglerswarehouse.com.au/product_detail.asp?productnospaces=daiwa_20_luvias_lt_2500s-dh_spin_reel_23144

There's plenty of great reels on the 2nd hand market too on Facebook marketplace that you could look at. 

1 hour ago, Tuna are fish said:

Have a look on market place, there are a lot of brand new spooled Stella's for a good price, especially after chrismas when people sell them if they got gifted them.

How good would it be to find a Stella under the tree on  christmas day? 

I'd love to have friends/family that hand out gifts like that. 🤣

I have a Vanford 5000 and mainly purchased it because of the light weight - being a weakling of a girl I figured it would be easier to hold for hours on end than similar priced reels.  I have found it to be fantastic - although given I haven't been offshore much or targeting bigger fish wish I had bought a 3000 or smaller.

On 22/11/2022 at 6:58 PM, djpalmer88 said:

Hey all, I've inherited a Millerod Finesse Freak rod without a reel. I was hoping for a few suggestions, but generally should I be looking for something around the 2500 size? Or go smaller? It's a light rod, so again assuming a reel on the lighter side. I likely won't be able to go out and try a few combos, but looking up to $500 I guess?

Thanks.

1000 to 2000 size reel 

On 23/11/2022 at 11:31 AM, Tuna are fish said:

Have a look on market place, there are a lot of brand new spooled Stella's for a good price, especially after chrismas when people sell them if they got gifted them.

I need a better family or friends, I'd love to get something like that as a gift. 

But I have to wonder what kind of person drops that sort of coin on a present that somebody doesn't want. Makes more sense if your not sure to just give them a grand in an envelope.