What size rod should I get

mzaakir

Hi guys. I got myself a 6500 saltist and it came with a 27-35kg 5'7 rod. I fish from a kayak and target big spanish mackerel, tuna and kingfish. 

Would you guys recommend keeping the rod or getting a 6-15kg rod. Also I troll so im considering getting a longer rod. What do you guys recommend. I want it to be paired with the saltist.

Depends on the rod you get, provided the guides are suitably sized and spaced. That Daiwa 6500 reel isn't a huge reel as spinning reels go but it is a reasonable sized one and it holds an adequate  amount of line with enough drag so should be able to do the job. Seeing as you will be in a Yak you should be able to chase down the fish if you need to, but most likely a very large fish will just tow you around in the yak for a little while, so line capacity shouldn't be an issue.

If you had a huge reel on a smaller rod it will feel mismatched so just take your reel into a store and try to match it with a suitable rod, you will soon see and feel it if it is matched properly.

8 minutes ago, Ed. said:

If you had a huge reel on a smaller rod it will feel mismatched so just take your reel into a store and try to match it with a suitable rod, you will soon see and feel it if it is matched properly.

Definitely do this.

I have a Saltist LTD 6500. It is a big reel for a 6500 and quite heavy - especially after you wind on 500 metres of braid - as you will know. So Ed's advice is good advice imo.

If you wanted to go heavier,  have a look at the Ugly Stiks

USBW-SP 701H 10-20kg 18-115g                    

USBW-SP 701XH 15-24kg 25-120g

You would be very, very hard pressed to break these rods, and still they are fairly flexible in the tips and high sticking them should not cause any problems, despite them being about 7ft long they get most of their power in the lower half of the rod so leverage won't be against you.