New rod and reel question

RonnieT

Hey all, abit if a newbie question here. I currently got a shimano zodias 1-3kg rod with a vanford 2500hg. Love it, great light action rod. But just purchased a shimano tcurve 3-6kg (maybe a little light??) with a shimano Saragosa 8000hg. what weight main and leader line you’s recommend? Main will be braid. 
I just wanted a size upgrade for the bigger fish especially mulloway. Is that an okay setup
Cheers guys.

Thanks Elli. Ye mate, going up the blue mountains next 2 weeks for some trout and then hopefully some jews next coming weeks.
Thanks bob, I can 100% return so I’ll be doing that tomorrow and getting the 5000.

thanks heaps mangajack, I totally agree with what your saying makes total sense. I’ve just recently got into fishing serous so trying to learn more as I go. I really appreciate the advice guys really helps a lot 

If they are the same size then I would get the 6000 just for extra line capacity. 

I've got a shimano stella 4000 that holds 165 yards of 60lb unlta thin braid, you could get over 200 yards of 30lb braid on a reel like that and there's not much you couldn't catch from the shore with something like that on a 6kg rod. That will catch even a lot of sharks that are under 2.5m in my experience. 

You can and should go heavier if your fishing with big baits, but if your flicking lures and plastics as well then it would be a very heavy outfit to use if you went bigger. 

I like to fish as light as possible, is easier to fish with and doesn't leave you at a disadvantage. The only time I see a need to fish heavy is if you have to pull them out of reefs and structure.