NRL 2023

ellicat

On 28/02/2023 at 7:35 AM, Old Scaley said:

Nah, I’m still in, @Drop Bear. And with 4 Qld teams to back, I think I am in with an excellent chance for the spoon. Can’t wait until kick-off on Thursday..

You will win the main prize for sure this year mate. The hardest thing to do for you this year is to work out what team to back when the QLDrs play each other. 

That'll be the last time I tip them for awhile. Draw not looking too favourable.

1 hour ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Possibly.

Interesting Tigers v Knights game this arvo. I couldn’t watch it to the end - Tigers were a bit scrappy but the Knights look shot, especially once Saifiti was sent off. I am assuming the Tigers finished them off ……. ? 🤔🙄🤣

On 08/03/2023 at 7:29 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

Great synopsis @Gad, one of your best. I have a strange feeling you may have been counting down to start of the season …. 🤔🙄🤪

Thanks Kelvin.... yes I was, the cricket did not help my footy cravings, and as for checking out the women's form at the Aussie Open... well, I'm almost 70, and my DR now keeps a close eye on my blood pressure 🥴

ROUND 2  results…

THURSDAY MARCH 9

Panthers 16  vs  10 Rabbitohs
being down a couple of regular players was not a real excuse for the Bunnies to allow the black cats to dominate them to that extent, for the first 60 minutes… from my eyes it was  like some Bunnies came out for the kick off with the thought that recent Panther wins against them was just a normal fact of the season…

FRIDAY MARCH 10

Eels 26  vs  30   Sharks

With an over all 50-50% possession rate, there were enough little twists and turns in this game, with the help of  Will Kennedy’s 3 tries and Trindalls kicking, to get the Sharkies the 2 points.
The Sharks will improve as a whole, when 2 key players return Hynes from injury/Graham suspension….
I’m not sure the same can be said for the Eels, though… IMO Brad Arthur and Moses Mitchell have taken this era of Eels rebuild to it’s highest peak, last year

Broncos 28  vs  16 Cowboys
for the first 20 minutes I mostly had flash backs of the ‘how do we get over the line’  Broncos… after that, as a team they settled and took control of their own fate.
Walsh and Mam are bringing a new era of excitement into a firing Bronco’s squad… t’is goodo for the game to have an ignited Bronco’s outfit…
the Cowboys will lick their wounds and, with a fill in fullback, take this loss out on the Warriors next Saturday

SATURDAY MARCH 11

Roosters 20  vs  12 Warriors

Hmmm okay, the Chooks are now a positive on the NRL ladder…
their positive only came about because the Warriors ‘out-errored’  them, throughout the game…
neither coaches would be thrilled by their team’s on field  performance.

Dolphins 20  vs 14 Raiders
and the Redcliffe Peninsula went ape poo, at the 80 minute mark….
another, Bennett coached NRL start up franchise rolling through the previous season’s top 8 teams….  Next week is looking extra goodo for their first up away win of the season too

Storm 12  vs  26 Bulldogs

Yeah, well fancy that…. while Kenny, Jesse, and Felise were still basking in the accolades being offered by staff and fans of the winning Dolphins, up in Redcliffe, their old crew was having their first 40 minutes offerings laid bare by the not so gentle ‘not happy Jane’ side of Bellamy explaining that 31 missed tackles in 40 minutes is not really the done thing.

SUNDAY MARCH 12

Wests Tigers 12  vs  14 Knights
… I do not know how to comment on a game of  hopeless versus WTF…
in saying that, one has to admire the Knights for actually getting the win.

Dragons 32  vs 18 Titans
hmmm… will the Dragons be on fire this year… or will the Dragons fire Griffin this year..

Bye: Sea Eagles

10 hours ago, ellicat said:

That'll be the last time I tip them for awhile. Draw not looking too favourable.

Fair call. They were rubbish... even with a player up they had no go forward and the Knights cut through them like a Wahoo through a bait ball. 

@Old Scaley I hope you are leading the comp at this stage? Titans wouldn't have helped... 

Can't wait for Gallen to call QLD the worst team ever again. 

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2021-daly-cherryevans-state-of-origin-qld-maroons-vs-nsw-blues-worst-team-ever-paul-gallen/news-story/12061cd242e3dc87031b7510afb1de27

It occurred to Pooh and Piglet that they hadn't heard from Eeyore for several days, so they put on their hats and coats and trotted across the Hundred Acre Wood to Eeyore's stick house. Inside the house was Eeyore.
"Hello Eeyore," said Pooh.
"Hello Pooh. Hello Piglet" said Eeyore, in a glum sounding voice.
"We just thought we'd check in on you," said Piglet, "because we hadn't heard from you, and so we wanted to know if you were okay."
Eeyore was silent for a moment. "Am I okay?" he asked, eventually. "Well, I don't know, to be honest. Are any of us really okay? That's what I ask myself. All I can tell you, Pooh and Piglet, is that right now I feel really rather sad, and alone, and not much fun to be around at all, which is why I haven't bothered you. Because you wouldn't want to waste your time hanging out with someone who is sad, and alone, and not much fun to be around at all, would you now?"
Pooh looked at Piglet, and Piglet looked at Pooh, and they both sat down, one on either side of Eeyore in his stick house.
Eeyore looked at them in surprise. "What are you doing?"
"We're sitting here with you," said Pooh, "because we are your friends. And true friends don't care if someone is feeling sad, or alone, or not much fun to be around at all. True friends are there for you anyway. And so here we are."
"Oh," said Eeyore. "Oh." And the three of them sat there in silence, and while Pooh and Piglet said nothing at all; somehow, almost imperceptibly, Eeyore started to feel a very tiny little bit better.
Because Pooh and Piglet were there.
No more; no less.
Homage to author A.A.Milne

😟 did you notice how not one of them... not one of them, had any thoughts about how sad the little Tiggers are feeling this week... just saying

Here we go again...
NOTE all times listed are silly bugger, eskimoe times... check Qld guide times

ROUND 3

THURSDAY MARCH 16

Sea Eagles vs. Eels 4 Pines Stadium 7:50pm AEDT

FRIDAY MARCH 17

Knights vs. Dolphins McDonald Jones Stadium 6:00pm AEDT

Roosters vs. Rabbitohs Allianz Stadium 8:05pm AEDT

SATURDAY MARCH 18

Titans vs. Storm Cbus Super Stadium 3:00pm AEDT

Cowboys vs. Warriors Qld Country Bank Stadium 5:30pm AEDT

Broncos vs. Dragons Suncorp Stadium 7:35pm AEDT

SUNDAY MARCH 19

Bulldogs vs. Wests Tigers Belmore Sportsground 4:05pm AEDT

Raiders vs. Sharks GIO Stadium 6:15pm AEDT

Bye: Panthers

Gad's certainty of round 3... there will be a dog and cat fight at Belmore Sportsground this Sunday

21 hours ago, Gad said:
It occurred to Pooh and Piglet that they hadn't heard from Eeyore for several days, so they put on their hats and coats and trotted across the Hundred Acre Wood to Eeyore's stick house. Inside the house was Eeyore.
"Hello Eeyore," said Pooh.
"Hello Pooh. Hello Piglet" said Eeyore, in a glum sounding voice.
"We just thought we'd check in on you," said Piglet, "because we hadn't heard from you, and so we wanted to know if you were okay."
Eeyore was silent for a moment. "Am I okay?" he asked, eventually. "Well, I don't know, to be honest. Are any of us really okay? That's what I ask myself. All I can tell you, Pooh and Piglet, is that right now I feel really rather sad, and alone, and not much fun to be around at all, which is why I haven't bothered you. Because you wouldn't want to waste your time hanging out with someone who is sad, and alone, and not much fun to be around at all, would you now?"
Pooh looked at Piglet, and Piglet looked at Pooh, and they both sat down, one on either side of Eeyore in his stick house.
Eeyore looked at them in surprise. "What are you doing?"
"We're sitting here with you," said Pooh, "because we are your friends. And true friends don't care if someone is feeling sad, or alone, or not much fun to be around at all. True friends are there for you anyway. And so here we are."
"Oh," said Eeyore. "Oh." And the three of them sat there in silence, and while Pooh and Piglet said nothing at all; somehow, almost imperceptibly, Eeyore started to feel a very tiny little bit better.
Because Pooh and Piglet were there.
No more; no less.
Homage to author A.A.Milne

😟 did you notice how not one of them... not one of them, had any thoughts about how sad the little Tiggers are feeling this week... just saying

Man, you had to work hard for that pun, @Gad 

ROUND 3 results…

THURSDAY MARCH 16

Sea Eagles 34  vs  30 Eels
total points scord 64… win/lose margin 4 points = both teams scored at least 30 points… both teams let in at least 30 points…. = both sides can score points… defence???

FRIDAY MARCH 17

Knights 20  vs 36 Dolphins
the Knights had their opportunities and bombed the vital ones….
The Dolphins had their opportunities and seized many… 5 tries between wingers Niu and Isaako…
when their player depth is tested by injuries/&?suspensions? the Dolphins will be severely tested… but at the moment the Bromich/Kafusi/Bellamy, Melbourne style influence mixed with the Bennett style is proving to be a winning formula as they play their way through the weekly NRL grind.
The many mistakes are there for a new newly formed team, but the heads up 80 minutes commitment shows out.

Roosters 20  vs  18 Rabbitohs
the real turning in this game came in the 2nd half, some Bunnies got spooked, and started to leave their strength plays to put the niggle into play… the Roosters mainly stayed out of it and wanted the win.

SATURDAY MARCH 18

Titans 38  vs  34 Storm

defence   defence   defence ????  mistake ridden game… another high scoring game that was good  in aircon on a hot, lazy day…
with 8-10 players unavailable due to injury, etc, the Storm’s noted defence is well out of kilter.
The Storm will improve with key troops coming back… the Titans defence will be telling when they come up against in form defensive sides.

Cowboys 12  vs  26 Warriors
hmmm, not only did the Warriors disarm and shoot up the Cowboys in Dodge City… they shot their horses too.

Broncos 40  vs  18 Dragons

Half time Dragons 16 – 8…. 69th minute 18 – 18… 78th minute and 4 tries later Broncos 40 – 18…. The Broncos unhappy’s, and non improving potential have been moved on, Walters has ‘his’ wanted roster… heads are now held up, and they play the 80 minutes put in front of them.

SUNDAY MARCH 19

Bulldogs 26  vs  22 Wests Tigers
55th minute 26 – 6, Tiggers look to be fur burger patties… then a few coughs and spits and  some fur balls come out… but not enough to overcome their choking

Raiders 24  vs  20 Sharks
Raiders got the choccy’s… The Sharkies speared themselves with their ill discipline times and the extra errors…
Sharks will improve… the Raiders may look as if they do, but they do have the easier draw for the season

Bye: Panthers

ROUND 4  results….

THURSDAY MARCH 23

Eels 17  vs  16 Panthers
The Eels finally put in a worthwhile effort,  while the Panther muse over their previous years extra spices, now playing elsewhere..
IMHO…. Cleary is struggling with his choices in attack getting connections to To’o, and Luai and those two are struggling without Kikau, and Koroisau, in the attack and defence lines …

FRIDAY MARCH 24

Storm 24  vs  12 Tigers
and with the hint of a tear in his eye, Piglet asked Tigger “will we ever get back to the good years when we finished around 9th”…
IMO, until the West Magpies or the Balmain Tigers, do a Manly on the other, I can not see the glory days of the past, coming around for this merged club any time this decade… sadly West’s have the finances and Balmain have the agendas…. just my thoughts

Dolphins 12  vs  18 Broncos

Wayne Bennett’s first statement in the post game media talk… “The only place we lost today was on the scoreboard”
… Kaufusi out, Katoa out, Nikorima gone early, Niu almost gone and playing on one leg, O’Sullivan busted and gone.
Katoni Staggs, killed the excitement of the match at the 78th minute by picking up a well placed attacking Dolphin’s grubber kick , from ankle height, on his try line and racing 100 metres…. to give the Broncos game, set, and match

SATURDAY MARCH 25

Cowboys 24  vs  12  Titans Qld
having won only 1  in 12 games at Townsville, nothing changed for the Titans on this trip north

Rabbitohs 13 vs  12 Sea Eagles
Oh  🦌… heart broken for Manly  🙄 😄 😂 🤣

SUNDAY MARCH 26

Warriors 16  vs  14 Bulldogs

The 3 to 1 start to the season has the Warrior’s faithful excited, and daring to hope for a finals berth in 2023….

Knights 24  vs  14 Raiders
Both teams were under strength, and the bounce of the calls seemed to be a little home town loaded, at times… in saying that, one of them had to get the 2 points after what seemed a very long 80 minutes of viewing…

Dragons 8  vs  40 Sharks
That score line will give the Sharks ‘for and against’ differential, a good kick along…

Some Dragons have not clicked to the fact... with Hook being Hooked, the incoming for 2024 (or sooner) comes with a ‘no longer required’ roster tuning...