Bow fishing misshap today.

Bob9863

I took the wife for a dive today to pick blackberry's and I had a flick while I was at it. 

There's been no real fish action for a while now in the river, but I've been seeing a whole lot carp by the shore on the surface so I thought I'd take the bow. 

It was shooting high for some reason and I couldn't hit a thing, that made me hit a couple rocks and blunten the tip a bit. I adjusted the knock a bit and tried again. 

The problem this time was now I was hitting them, but even hitting one at 2m in the head was making the arrow bounce off of it. 

As I moved down the bank along the rocks which were very very slick from weeks of spray making them slimy. 

As I moved down I hit a very very slick rock, I had no traction and my leg fell into a big crack. It disappeared down to my knee and fell downwards towards the river. 

I managed to save the bow and not break anything, but I ended up with a little spiral fracture at an old injury. 

That's put my fishing on hold for a bit, it's just too dangerous atm to risk it there. 

But once it does I've got my eye in now and I'm expecting to do good down track. 

29 minutes ago, Jono4500 said:

Hi Bob, was thinking you must be giving the fish a break for a while

No there's been a perfect storm of things that put the fish off here atm. 

The cod fishing is pretty good atm but they aren't something I really target, I'm looking around now for new spots for Yellow Belly and trout. 

Trouble is the trout are off the bite due to the heat. The yellow belly are in a similar boat also. The other problem is that they opened two turbines at the dam wall, that's changed the direction the water flows from the sides to out in the middle and that's really thrown the fish off. 

I've been catching heaps of redfin while I'm chasing other species, but I couldn't be bothered putting a post up on them, no real size and I'm not keeping them so no point really talking any photos. 

59 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Both lucky and unlucky at the same time. An old injury is better than a new one maybe ??

It's not the 1st time I've aggravated it, won't be the last either. It damages easily but repairs pretty quickly. 

It's just annoying on shots like smacking a carp right between the eyes and having it bounce off. It bounced off a few times on side hits too for about 5 more carp before I did my leg. 

That however is what makes you want to go back for more, so it's going to be a frustrating wait until I can get back out there. My big fear now is that they close off a turbine and the flow returns to normal before I get the chance. 

I got a bit worried when the title of your post was " Bow fishing mishap today",

then your first sentence was " I went out for a drive with my wife today"🤕

I wasn't sure where this post was going to head and wondered if it was on 7 news??????😂

but glad your wife is still alive, bugger about your injury though.

Speedy recovery.