Another monster today.

Bob9863

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Great work Bob! That's a huge cod. 

What's the biggest you've heard of from that spot?

I've seen a 130cm once, but usually a 100cm is the goal and not many get caught here. 

Down River a bit they catch a few more 100cm+ with the biggest being up to 1.5m. Never seen one in person but I've seen a photo of a bloke I know that caught one. 

The biggest I could possibly hope to get here would be 120cm if I'm being optimistic. 

59 minutes ago, ellicat said:

What colour is doing the damage ?

Nice fish, btw.

Depends on the conditions of the day, if the water is pretty clear and it's sunny then a red fin pattern or golden are the best, if it's murky or overcast purple is my go to and if it's just cloudy and murky or late into the evening then black is the go. 

I've got tomorrow off so I'm going to put in a bit more time, taking some bigger lures and my heavy rod and going to try for a proper big one. I picked up a Jackell Doozer in the redfin like bluegil pattern and I'm going g to give it a run. 

But if I could only fish 3 lures, these are what I would pick, they work on any size yellow belly or redfin, they catch trout great and are proving to be dynamite on the cod. 

I actually bought the two main stores out of them today so I have several spares, and will hit the only shop on the other side of the river that stocjes them tomorrow. 

IMG_20230309_201556.thumb.jpg.660b9c2cd05c0e445a3f3c926da851b8.jpg

Hi Bob, 

Thanks for the pics , you are landing some quality fish. What is the river you fish and the dam wall from some pics? I wish I had a local spot like that, it looks great .  

I’m thinking about getting some of the McGrath lures you are using with success. What is the retrieve/depth style you use ? Have you tried stinger hooks replacing the trebles for maybe less snagging without compromising hookups ?

thanks for the tips 👍🏽

Steve (SRW25)

I fish in the murry when I'm stuck around town, but I like the ovens and Mitta river a bit more, the kiwia is pretty good too. 

I have thought about using stingers, I use them with lead fish, but I'm not having a problem with snagging the way the river is, and when it's running right I fish in some eddie's where snagging isn't too bad either. 

I actually use stingers with lead fish, they are good for trout. 

I use the vibes as I can set the depth by how long I let them sink, it makes them very versatile lures.