yellowbelly and murry cod in the brisbane river

Darcy Siepen

I'm reasonably new to freshwater fishing especially in the brisbane river. Ive caught quite a few bass and of course catfish but ive heard many conflicting stories about both yellowbelly, and especially murry cod in the upper sections of the brisbane river. Has anyone ever gotten one of either. I usually fish around Kohlo so does anyone also know if i should go further up closer to wyvenhoe to catch one.

There definitely used to be Mary River cod, I was living right up near Ipswich back in the early 2000's and caught a couple that I thought were Murry cod but and old fella said they were Mary river cod.

But I went back after the floods and had a fish when I was living in Brisbane about 10 years later and everything looked so much different and I never caught another one.

I also caught my 3rd biggest flathead at the same spot which was in fresh water, that was just a couple of km's below the weir.

Never caught a yellow belly,bit of a shame.