Brisbane River good to fish yet?

JohnG

I know the answer to the question is: "Go and throw in a line and you'll find out."

But... I thought I would ask anyway.

I fished around Kangaroo Point and Breakfast Creek for snapper and jew before the rain with some success. Need live mullet for jew.

So, do mullet hang around the city area when the water is dirty like it is now? Any ideas where I can find some?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, JohnG said:

I know the answer to the question is: "Go and throw in a line and you'll find out."

But... I thought I would ask anyway.

I fished around Kangaroo Point and Breakfast Creek for snapper and jew before the rain with some success. Need live mullet for jew.

So, do mullet hang around the city area when the water is dirty like it is now? Any ideas where I can find some?

Thanks.

You'll probably struggle to get bait until the river cleans up a bit more, I haven't been able to catch much bait around those areas recently although normally Winter is best for snaps and jews at KP and Hamilton (and there is more bait around then with the clean water). 👍

Schools of mullet are much easier to spot in cleaner water around bridge / pylon lights. (Dark blob/shadow)

A favourite spot for me is all along Newstead Park > Newstead Terrace Park. If you walk all along this built up foreshore you're bound to spot / hear mullet jumping around. Just have your cast net handy. Big Banana prawns at times as well.

3 hours ago, Hweebe said:

Schools of mullet are much easier to spot in cleaner water around bridge / pylon lights. (Dark blob/shadow)

A favourite spot for me is all along Newstead Park > Newstead Terrace Park. If you walk all along this built up foreshore you're bound to spot / hear mullet jumping around. Just have your cast net handy. Big Banana prawns at times as well.

Is there anywhere exactly along here that you've found to be best? I fish here regularly and only get a few odd mullet, sometimes lots of herring or prawns. Also it seems to be quite snaggy in most spots. 

47 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Is there anywhere exactly along here that you've found to be best? I fish here regularly and only get a few odd mullet, sometimes lots of herring or prawns. Also it seems to be quite snaggy in most spots. 

Newstead park can definitely be snaggy - ruined a few cast nets back in the day. I tended not to let the net fully drop to the bottom if possible.

I preferred the south end towards the two newer apartment blocks. On Google maps its Wharf park