Rock fishing Rod recommendations?

Stokesy99

Recently been getting into fishing on some local ledges, I've been fishing estuaries, beaches and local bays from shore my entire life with old gear from my Dad, but only started upgrading to newer gear in the past 12 months.

Currently my only real useful setup off the rocks is my Samaki Gen 3, 10 foot 6 Surf Rod paired with a Daiwa BG 5000 and 50lb braid - Which was originally bought as a beach set and forget and occasional metal spinning setup.

That setup is good at throwing out big lures and sinkers upwards of 50g, but its not ideal when you're casting metals all day long!

I have a Spinfisher VI 4500 here that I have spooled up with 20lb braid ready to go, so ideally im looking for a rod thatll handle anything average sized off the rocks down in the South Coast of NSW (Kiama to Ulladulla)

My current thoughts are to go with one of the following rods within a budget of $250 and length preference of 8-10 foot;

Daiwa Sensor Wave $129

Daiwa Over There $179

Does anyone have experience with either of these rods or have any suggestions in my price range? The rod will 99% of the time be throwing metals to start with as theyre the cheapest effective lure to lose while I'm learning the rocks.

Though I suspect anything I choose will be better then smoking up my girlfriends poor 2-4kg flathead setup on Bonitos again 🤣

Cheers guys

22 hours ago, Stokesy99 said:

Recently been getting into fishing on some local ledges, I've been fishing estuaries, beaches and local bays from shore my entire life with old gear from my Dad, but only started upgrading to newer gear in the past 12 months.

Currently my only real useful setup off the rocks is my Samaki Gen 3, 10 foot 6 Surf Rod paired with a Daiwa BG 5000 and 50lb braid - Which was originally bought as a beach set and forget and occasional metal spinning setup.

That setup is good at throwing out big lures and sinkers upwards of 50g, but its not ideal when you're casting metals all day long!

I have a Spinfisher VI 4500 here that I have spooled up with 20lb braid ready to go, so ideally im looking for a rod thatll handle anything average sized off the rocks down in the South Coast of NSW (Kiama to Ulladulla)

My current thoughts are to go with one of the following rods within a budget of $250 and length preference of 8-10 foot;

Daiwa Sensor Wave $129

Daiwa Over There $179

Does anyone have experience with either of these rods or have any suggestions in my price range? The rod will 99% of the time be throwing metals to start with as theyre the cheapest effective lure to lose while I'm learning the rocks.

Though I suspect anything I choose will be better then smoking up my girlfriends poor 2-4kg flathead setup on Bonitos again 🤣

Cheers guys

I have heard good things about the daiwa over there,  it was an option when I was buying my rock fishing setup but I went with the saltist hyper m/over because I wanted something 8ft lightweight but can handle big fish. it might be worth looking at an 8 or 9 foot rod because I find casting and working lures on a 10ft rod a bit tedious after a couple of hours.image.thumb.jpeg.2550dd25c405bb5cbcaac0649b984818.jpeg

13 hours ago, Thorbjorn Hale said:

I have heard good things about the daiwa over there,  it was an option when I was buying my rock fishing setup but I went with the saltist hyper m/over because I wanted something 8ft lightweight but can handle big fish. it might be worth looking at an 8 or 9 foot rod because I find casting and working lures on a 10ft rod a bit tedious after a couple of hours.image.thumb.jpeg.2550dd25c405bb5cbcaac0649b984818.jpeg

Cheers for the reply, the 8ft and 9ft rods in that range look very similar in cast weight in PE rating, only major difference with the 2 is the butt join on the 8ft model.. I'd have to go to a tackle shop and see how my 4500 reel sits on the rod as it looks like you're using something like a 6-7k reel at a guess. Definitely looks like a good option though, been looking at Penn Prevail 2s, the OverThere rods and now the Saltist Hypers. 

10 hours ago, Stokesy99 said:

Cheers for the reply, the 8ft and 9ft rods in that range look very similar in cast weight in PE rating, only major difference with the 2 is the butt join on the 8ft model.. I'd have to go to a tackle shop and see how my 4500 reel sits on the rod as it looks like you're using something like a 6-7k reel at a guess. Definitely looks like a good option though, been looking at Penn Prevail 2s, the OverThere rods and now the Saltist Hypers. 

No worries, the reel in the photo is only a 4500 and it sits really well and is a very balanced combo. I also have a penn prevail but the 12ft model and its more suited for bait fishing, but ive seen people use the 9ft model and they are really nice rods.