women in recreational fishing program expressions of interest

rayke1938

Copy of email.

ubject:Women in Recreational Fishing Program Expressions of interest

Date:Mon, 3 Jul 2023 02:19:15 +0000

From:Christelle Legrand <Christelle.Legrand@daf.qld.gov.au>

CC:Thomas Hart <Thomas.Hart@daf.qld.gov.au>

Hi all,

Expressions of interest to join the new cohort of the Women in Recreational Fishing Leadership Program are now open. EOIs close on Sunday 9 July at 5pm. For more information and how to apply click on the following link: https://daf.engagementhub.com.au/wirfn-leadership . It would be great if you could please distribute this amongst your clubs as we’re looking for representatives all throughout Qld. The current group has been very SEQ heavy, so it would be great if we could get some better representation especially out west and in the freshwater space.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Christelle

Christelle Legrand

Fisheries Officer (Freshwater), Fisheries Queensland

Department of Agriculture and Fisheries

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T +61 459 866 100 E  Christelle.Legrand@daf.qld.gov.au W www.daf.qld.gov.au

Level 5, 41 George Street, Brisbane QLD 4000

GPO Box 46, Brisbane QLD 4001

Customer Service Centre 13 25 23

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and LinkedIn!

Download the NEW ‘Qld Fishing 2.0’ smart phone app for Apple and Google

2 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

Copy of email.

ubject:Women in Recreational Fishing Program Expressions of interest

Date:Mon, 3 Jul 2023 02:19:15 +0000

From:Christelle Legrand <Christelle.Legrand@daf.qld.gov.au>

CC:Thomas Hart <Thomas.Hart@daf.qld.gov.au>

Hi all,

Expressions of interest to join the new cohort of the Women in Recreational Fishing Leadership Program are now open. EOIs close on Sunday 9 July at 5pm. For more information and how to apply click on the following link: https://daf.engagementhub.com.au/wirfn-leadership . It would be great if you could please distribute this amongst your clubs as we’re looking for representatives all throughout Qld. The current group has been very SEQ heavy, so it would be great if we could get some better representation especially out west and in the freshwater space.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Christelle

Christelle Legrand

Fisheries Officer (Freshwater), Fisheries Queensland

Department of Agriculture and Fisheries

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T +61 459 866 100 E  Christelle.Legrand@daf.qld.gov.au W www.daf.qld.gov.au

Level 5, 41 George Street, Brisbane QLD 4000

GPO Box 46, Brisbane QLD 4001

Customer Service Centre 13 25 23

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and LinkedIn!

Download the NEW ‘Qld Fishing 2.0’ smart phone app for Apple and Google

@Kat

42 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

I met a couple of women from this group at the World Recreational Fishing Conference in Melbourne this year. Nice down to earth people trying to encourage more women into the sport. 

I wonder how much more the fishery can handle?

There has to be a point where enough pressure is enough.

What I knew as average fishing as a kid 50+ years ago would be mind blowing to most these days, I am glad I did not exploit it then and released all but a feed.

I really do not think there will be a fishery to enjoy in 80 years, the growth of participants has and keeps exploding....we will likely not have the opportunity to wet a line.

Well I for one, am very happy that that a woman took a keen interest in fishing. I was absolutely chuffed the day a  fine woman came strolling across the flats with a yabby pump over her shoulder. I was impressed. 

I hope it's just unfortunate wording, but it seems like @mangajack feels like it is inappropriate for fishing to be undertaken by women or fish stocks shared with women. Like I said I hope it's just unfortunate wording on his behalf.

8 hours ago, mangajack said:

I wonder how much more the fishery can handle?

There has to be a point where enough pressure is enough.

What I knew as average fishing as a kid 50+ years ago would be mind blowing to most these days, I am glad I did not exploit it then and released all but a feed.

I really do not think there will be a fishery to enjoy in 80 years, the growth of participants has and keeps exploding....we will likely not have the opportunity to wet a line.

Don't worry @mangajack- us females prefer to be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. Your fishing grounds will be safe!  You will still be able to "bring home the bacon" oops sorry fish.

I agree that the concept of a "quota" can seem to be tokenistic and difficult to practically implement given where human beings are at.

Probably less about forcing people in and more about not forcing them out of opportunity?

I had no intention of offending people.  I feel like some of the comments made on this thread however are worthy of question.