New (2nd Hand ) Combo - Did I get a Bargain?

Rocket75

I've been looking to buy a heavy overhead setup to add to my collection of gear.

Whilst scanning ebay recently, I came across an interesting combo. Not much detail as follows

silstar overhead reel lever drag in good condition great trolling reel, matched to short stand up stick of shimano backbone with roller tip. selling for a mate dont know much about

With 3 days to go I beat the highest bid by $1 by bidding $32.00. I expected that this would be quickly outbid in turn, but to my suprise, I won!

Picked it up today, first thing I noticed was the reel seat spins on the rod:angry: , but apart from that, the rod and reel seem to be in good condition.

Rod is a Shimano Backbone 24kg 5'7 roller tip

Reel is a Silstar Lever Drag Big Fin BF-50 Graphite Titanium (15kg-900m, 24kg - 500m)

Reel is spooled with some heavy ass braid in good condition but of unknown origin and strength.

Any tips on fixing the reel seat issue?

Did I get a bargain?

Surely the braid must be worth $32 alone:woohoo:

Any feedback appreciated, cause I can't find out much about the reel on the Net.

Rocket

[img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/xmas_pups_004.jpg

post-953-144598437777_thumb.jpg

i fixed one by pulling the bottom grip back sliding the real seat down a bit the pouring araldite in and pusing everything back in place to dry just remember to masing tape everything up even mask up a funnel to assit with the glue so far its worked fine if you get stuc \"he he he \" bring it round ill have a play with it :)

Yep a bit of Araldite should fix the reel seat. But check in case it is underlying packing that given up the ghost, if it is you might need to repack it as well. Thin slivers of something appropriate will usually do the job.

Either way sounds like a top score!

And yeah it does look like good old spiderwire in moss /green (thats about the colour it fades to)

Thanks guys.

The line didn't show up all that well in the picture, I'll try to paint a picture in words!

Line is predominantly white but has a darker colour woven through. It is quite limp and has a slight texture to the touch.

It frays on the end where cut and measures approx 1mm diameter using a ruler.

Any one used one of these reels before?

Rocket

Cowfish13 wrote:

Looks great for $32

How's the drag on the reel and the roler on the rod? Still going smooth?

Yea mate, all the guides are intact and the roller rolls!

No obvious repairs to the rod and it loads up OK.

From what I can see, the drag works too, can't wait to test it out.

Rocket

Dan23 wrote:

Off topic, but Kev and I might drop in and see you tomorrow if you're working rocket.

On topic, what'll you be targeting with such a heavy setup?

I should be there Dan. Weather is not good enough to chuck a \"fishie\" ( a fishing sickie ):silly:

I'm getting ready for the re-charter down the coast, Oh, and i want to chase some Jacks too B) !

Thanks Loz, looks like it could be that stuff, whatever it is, it's a mile heavier than anything i've ever owned!

Do you tie knots in it like braid, or is it different?

Dan, don't be so modest. Jack is now your middle name:P

That bigger model you posted recenetly would have had me wetting myself. It's on my new years resolution list ( right under \"lose 10kg\"!):blush:

Archived