Reverse on Spinning Reels??

fishyman

hey guys,

i actually find that it comes in handy, maybe just coz i'm an idiot, but i often reel in to far and hit the top guide with either lure, sinker or big ugly knot. i find it hard to lift the bale over to release line and annoying to release drag pressure or pull on braid with my soft tender hands hehehe, so i simple slip the reel into reverse and away i go. in summing up, i'd be buggered without it.

buzz

Buzz you must have some good drag dialed up if its that hard on the hands to peel off some line! Mind you it is one of the reasons I use baitcasters on my shark outfits, flick on the rear drag and peel line off easy!

Why not have it, no weight advantage in changing the reels so they can not work in reverse, only a very small switch on most reels, which you would still need to be present in the \"off\" posdition to stop reverse working.

A lot of people leave the bail arm open instead when drifting baits out, having it in reverse can sometimes be enough friction to stop the line coming off.

Kim Bain wtote an article in one of the mags not long ago. Was something along the lines of you use it to keep tension on the line when releasing a bait or lure so you can see or feel the strike quicker. You slow wind the reel backwards to feed the line out under tension. The best I can explain it.

Dino

Alot of higher end reels such as Saltiga have scrapped it altogether. Except in the surf range.

Reason being, to eliminate unnecessary features that could potentially flaw.

Another example of this (in Saltiga) is the mechanism that clunks the bail arm over when it's open and the handle is wound.

Archived