releasing 10,000 bass into Kerwongbah

Feral

There will be 10,000 bass fingerlings released in to Lake Kurwongbah tomorrow morning at 9am. They became available urgently, so in they go!

I am stopping in on my way to work tomorrow, but only briefly,(got to be at work by 10am) hopefully there will be something to photograph while I am there.

You are welcome to fish for tilapia there.

PRFMA are going to release 120 togas that are 50cm long in the near future at a cost of $60 each.

They are also have an order for a couple of hundred of toga fingerlings that they have to pick up and transport from Crackow in early February.

Please do not target the toga as we are wishing to quickly establish a breeding population.

Cheers

Ray

I know this was discussed a while back but what's the official word on Tilapia. I read you had to bury them 100m up the bank or something but then Schultz said if you take them and they are dead the fisheries guys are fine with it.

N.b. I don't want to take em, I was just wondering out of interest what the law is.

faulked wrote:

why bread brian im thinking of going hard at the tillies till the weather clears and any help would be good ive never got one

I have only caught Tillies on bread, unweighted dough balls.

I know Tillies take other things but bread is so easy, besides I can have a feed at the same time.

Ok, here is the series of photo's.

Fish arrived at about 9am, we then put them in by bucket.

P1090874.jpg

P1090873.jpg

P1090879.jpg

P1090880.jpg

P1090883.jpg

P1090886.jpg

And the local big wig from the Council got to put the first lot in.

P1090888.jpg

P1090889.jpg

My camera ran out of juice after this, hopefully Ray might have a few more photo's.

Congratulations to the team, they have worked pretty hard for this.

Dan23 wrote:

I know this was discussed a while back but what's the official word on Tilapia. I read you had to bury them 100m up the bank or something but then Schultz said if you take them and they are dead the fisheries guys are fine with it.

N.b. I don't want to take em, I was just wondering out of interest what the law is.

Just to clarify this, it is illegal to transport noxious species dead or alive. Here's an excerpt from the DPI&F website:

"It is an offence to have noxious fish (such as carp and tilapia) in your possession, dead or alive (except dead Nile perch). You must therefore dispose of the fish as soon as practicable after killing. It is recommended that you do this by burying it a suitable distance from the waterway where it was caught or disposing it in a rubbish bin."

Cheers, Luke.

Archived