Custom Rod Finished!!

fishyman

hey just finished building my 4th rod this one was for a friend anthony (bait bringa)

this rod was my first attempt at what rodbuilders call a tiger wrap or holographic wrap and i am quite pleased with how it turned out it matches the blue camo EVA grips quite nicely and guide wraps are to match aswell.

for my 4th rod i think ive done pretty well [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSCN3010_AFO.jpg

post-2204-144598438978_thumb.jpg

Its pretty easy, I built my first one when I was 10, still use it, a 10 foot Len Butterworth 2nd grade Blank (had a couple of marks on it, could not afford a first grade one!) turned into a great medium duty surf road. Warning - the Fuji guides only lasted 34 years before I had to replace them.

What was also interesting was I paid a small fortune for the EVA top grip, (bottom grip is wood) because I did not want the rod to look cheap with cork grips (which was what cheap rods had back then) how times have changed!

Cowfish13 wrote:

I'm too lazy to make my own rod:silly:

well if you do you can save a lot of money on top class gear, blanks are probably about 1/3 of the price of a built rod, (Particularly if you import them) and you actually get the runners in the right place on one you build yourself, all the mass produced rods just have the runners roughly where they will work ok for all the rods, not for the specific blank your building on.

Having said that I have not bothered to build a rod myself in years, but my Loomis was hand made by John Ford on an imported blank!

haha ive been watchign movie

um i can write up some stuff on how to do it i guess. i got taught by my dad and only made my first rod about 2 months ago.

as far astools reef_raider um the only tools i use is a sharp scalpel and i piece of thin pipe to run spools of thread so i can tension them with my feet.

you can get power wrappers and all that jazz but i do it all by hand the way my dad taught me.

i got all the parts from mossops fishing tackle if you are interested g in and speak to darryl he will get you started. another good bit of information is rodbuilding.org that site is run by rodmakers for rodmakers lotsof good info.

well onto the procedure

Guide wrapping.

This will only be a brief section as I have no pics and pics speak 1000 words as they say. AND this is the way I was taught by no means is this the correct or only way to do it if you have a way you like to do it by all means include it here.

Well, to start a guide wrap I start above the guide (tip side) lock off the thread with masking tape then roll the thread back down past the guide roll the blank while keeping thread parallel to edge of guide foot bind over the thread to lock it off about 4-5 times trim loose end you should now about 5 wraps of thread nice and secured at the foot of the guide. When preparing to bind onto guide foot make sure it is a nice transition from blank to guide foot otherwise epoxy can crack after a while proceed binding until base of guide ‘legs’ then if im building with single foot guides I like to do what is called the forhan locking wrap which was invented by a rodmaker by the name of rich forhan which involoves wrapping thread around leg of guide from past the leg, over the top then back under 3 times. Next step is to tie off the wrap insert a small loop of thread under the last revolution so the loop is facing the tip of the rod wrap over 3-4 times to lock of cut thread about 6 inchs away from blank insert end through loop whilst keeping tension on tag end pull loop so thread travels under the thread thus locking your wrap. Now simply burnish the wrap which means getting something hard and smooth and basically packing threads up close to each other and your done.

That’s only a very brief and pretty dodgy explanation cause I havnt got pics but any questions fell free to ask.

Cheers

haha yeah me and my dad tend to make anythign we fish with i think we are addicted and also very stingy :P

we make rods, lures, flies, sinkers, jig heads, i jut finished making myself a soft plastics divider like whats inside those berkley tackle bags.

man im bogan i need a job :P

Archived