Baroon Pocket 15/1/08

Feral

Well Poly and I arrived at the dam, after driving through rain and clouds, about 6:45, to find The Hairdresser with all his gear already to go. So a quick "heart in mouth moment" as we went down to see if the water was low enough to get on the dam, it was about 5mm below the sign leg - Score!

Poly had only caught one small bass before, so was keen to get some more, the hairdresser had never seen a bass before.

So a quick launch and we were off up the eastern arm to try our luck. We did it pretty tough for the first 3 or 4 hours, just one hit to the hairdresser on a popper, but no hook up. Just the big boof as the Bass went for his popper got him all excited though!

Around 12 we were working our way back up the eastern side, when we got our first Bass for the day, in the middle of one of the small bays. Poly managed to get it on a little halco lure, a nice little 33cm.That was all we could raise there, so we headed up the creek on the eastern side. We were starting to get some touches, but no real hits or hookups, so we were swapping lures etc etc looking for the pattern. I had tried about 20 lures by that stage, when I spotted the freeby purple Berkley frenzy I got in my goodies bag at the Classic. I thought why not, and tied it on.

2 casts later and I got a good hit but missed it, this happened twice more before I was on my first Bass of the day, a nice little 33cm unit. About 4 or 5 casts later I got another, a reasonable 39cm model. This one fought like a freight train, took me into the weed, but I eventually landed him. Both of these fish had come off the side of weed bommies in about 20 foot of water, so a quick root through the various tackle boxes and everyone was loaded with bluey purple deep diving fat body minnows along the same line as the Frenzy, these did the trick, we ended up with 6 fish out of that area over about an hour period, a big improvement for the day.

Highlight of the day was watching the look on the Hairdressers face when his first Bass took him for a ride, as he had his drag done up just short of "skull drag" he was rather disconcerted when his rod tip was nearly touching the but of the rod!

The look on his face says it all.

It rained most of the day, blew hard at times, but we all got some fish and gee it sure beat the heck out of being at work!

P1100028.jpg

P1100027.jpg

P1100025.jpg

P1100024.jpg

P1100022.jpg

P1100021.jpg

P1100017.jpg

P1100014.jpg

P1100012.jpg

Thanks fella's, Angus no not that bay :) there a few new ones with the Dam full!

Inrerestingly enough, the dam is still very clean, only a slight mudiness right up in the tops of the creeks, lots of little waterfalls.

By the time we got off, it was about 2 inches above the bottom of the sign and still rising, so probably not going to be fishable for a couple of days until all the rain has well and truly cleared.

Brave souls rewarded with fish...there is justice in the world!

Which ramp did you launch from?

Why does the sign need to be dry for fishing?

Kath and I went for a drive up there on the weekend, and the water was a little up the steel post, but not touching any of the height markers, must it be not touching any part of the sign, eg posts and all?

At the Montville ramp we couldn't see much room for parking trailers, what's the go? is there more room at the other ramp?

Rocket

You could be right Ellicat!

Not the purtiest bunch of fisho's thats for sure!

Rocket - Launched at Maleny end, it has proper trailer parking for about 20 trailers, but is gated and locked at night. It opens at either 6am or 5am (always used to be 6, but we think it was recently changed to 5, but forgot to confirm yesterday)

The rule is if the water level touches the sign legs at all you cant go on. It is fixed to the safe height for water going over the spillway. Pretty conservative I'd reckon, but safety first!

Also had a visit from the ranger on the way back to the ramp yesterday, he did the usual check to make sure the batteries were secured and we had purchased a permit ($5 - honour box system at ramp). Nice bloke, usually put you onto where the fish have been biting as well, if they are biting!

Well I've finally been forced to join the site mainly just to defend my staunch record of heterosexuality despite driving what has been refered to as a "lesbian shopping trolley":) ...I do prefer to describe it as a "Japanese 2litre 4wd" and let people's imagination fill in the blanks!:P

Regardless, my introduction to Bass fishing was a welcome suprise compared to the freshwater fish I'd encountered before i.e. 'sleepy cod', jewfish/eel etc... Those little buggers (Bass)go off like a firecracker!:blink:

It was a great day...(many thanx to skipper Feral and Polyphonic)and I'm already looking forward to the next outing...all I need is a blue, deep diving minow...and a new rod..and some heavier line...and...

Clawhammer wrote:

Well I've finally been forced to join the site mainly just to defend my staunch record of heterosexuality despite driving what has been refered to as a "lesbian shopping trolley":) ...I do prefer to describe it as a "Japanese 2litre 4wd" and let people's imagination fill in the blanks!:P

Regardless, my introduction to Bass fishing was a welcome suprise compared to the freshwater fish I'd encountered before i.e. 'sleepy cod', jewfish/eel etc... Those little buggers (Bass)go off like a firecracker!:blink:

It was a great day...(many thanx to skipper Feral and Polyphonic)and I'm already looking forward to the next outing...all I need is a blue, deep diving minow...and a new rod..and some heavier line...and...

Hahaha you find that Clawhammer. People get into fishing for a nice "cheap" past time. Then you expand tastes, fishing preferences, methods etc etc. All of a sudden the wifes shoe fetish aint looking as bad as it used to (cost wise of course :).

Welcome aboard mate.

If you click the link in my footer you can see a load of upcoming AFO events you may want to attend.

Cheers.

Angus

Archived