Pine River (Brisbane) Fishing spots

millerjo

Ive just taken up fishing and i am located near the Pine River at Kallangur (North Brisbane)

Ive been catching plenty of undersize Bream but i am looking for something a little more exciting! Can anybody suggest a location, bait or method to catch something bigger.

I am happy to travel up to Recliffe. Unfortunatly i don't have a boat yet! so i need to fish from the shore.

Many Thanks Josh

G'day mate. Pine river seems to have plenty of fish in it. Its just very hit and miss. I dont know to much about it so hopefully some otehr locals speak up.

Anyway welcome to the site and happy first post.

There are several AFO events coming if you are interested. Click the link in my footer to check these out.

Good fishing

Angus

Welcome aboard!

With the estuaries being fishy "kindergartens" you'll find quite a few undersized fish from most shore based locations.

That said there are opportunities for good legal sized fish in the same areas, patience and tactics will help sort the men out from the boys.

Try scaling back your tackle, it makes the smaller ones more fun, and fishing lighter can sometimes tempt the picky big ones too.

Scarborough and Sandgate are two of my local favoutites, but most land based spots will have the same scenario.

Keep an eye out for "deckie" requests, that's when a boatie on line has a spare seat and would like some company for the day. Good way to meet new people and learn new tricks too.

Oh, and Northpine Dam for Bass is pretty close to you also, they go hard, good value.

Rocket

Thanks Guys, hope to catch up with you sometime in the future.

On another notwMy brother in-law caught a 65cm Dew fish of the bank at Deep Bend this afternoon. Threw a potty mullet in for about 30 mins and the Dewy smashed it and ran for about 50 meters. He eventually got it in and up the boat ramp. It was nice to see somebody catch something decent!

We plan to cook it on the BBQ tommorrow night.

Hey Millerjo,

Nice to meet you and your BIL this afternoon down at DWB.

I got a pic of the Jewie and your BIL just before he cleaned it.

I hope he doesn't mind if I post it in here for ya... (if he does let me know ASAP so I can remove it.

Gotta say though... it's gotta be a one in a million land based catch down at DWB... ;)

hey mate, there r some good land base spots at the mouth of the pine but its only accessible on the low tide. Drive along the deagon deviation and turn left at the lights just brfore u cross houghton hwy bridge and that takes u to brighton park.

From there u can walk all the way up to bald hills creek, best to do it at low tide although u can still fish the banks at high tide u just wont be able to get back to your car until the tide goes down unless u swim across a creek which is near the car park. At low tide the creek is basically dry.

good luck!

Mate you could always go up to the Pine dam and do some bank fishing for Yella's and Bass. They certainly go a lot better than bream! Quite a few blokes from here hit it up regularly, so keep an eye out for someone planning a trip, I'm sure they'd show you the ropes. Most people here love helping out someone new to the sport.

teckee7 wrote:

I feral, where is Pine Dam and how do I get there? What kind of fish is a Yella?

Mate its a hionking great Dam on the north Pine river. Go over to Petrie, and head west towards Dayboro. Look for signs to the dam, its not very far west of the Dam, The two popular areas sign posted are McGavins View or Bullockies rest.

millerjo wrote:

13 people got a feed of that dewy!

Was pretty good eating aswell.

Do you guys reckon its worth putting the photo on the fish of the month comp?

I was thinking of buying a cast net, does anybody have any suggestions on the best place to pick one up?

Thanks Josh

The Fish of the Month comp is for specific species each month. The fish must be caught during the month of the comp. This month it is Saratoga. So no. But if it was Jew, you'd be in with a good chance. Nice fish.

Archived