Help Please

bjhbreamchaser

Hey guys just picked up my first boat 3.6m De Havilland with a 20 yamaha picked up for a good price but a little rough. Previous owner took middle seat out, got rid of rivets from side of the boat and selastic the holes. Want to fix this better thinking of welding but open to other ideas [img size=422]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Photo0066__422_x_317_.jpg

post-247-144598444471_thumb.jpg

Have not quite left yet! Another couple of hours.

Welding will probably make it look daggy, as will the option I would go with (only because the silastic is likely to fall out when you least want it, and I am to cheap to pay for welding) - Go get some "Blind Rivets" and some sikaflex or bostik in grey (just to look neater).

Remove the silastic, (actually probably do that before you go get the rivets so you can get a rough idea of the rivet size your going to need, but will probably 4.5 or 6mm ones, as short as you can get, because the rivet will stick out on the inside of the boat - those 6mm ones are a mongrel to "pop" so only use them if you have to, and you want arms like Arnie)

Smear a small amount of Bostik around the rivet body and insert rivet from the outside of the boat (it looks neater).(I prefer the bostik its half the price of sikaflex and just as good, as long as you get the right grade!)Pop the rivet and wipe off excess bostik straight away. Making sure you fill the centre hole of the rivet with it in the process. Do the same for all the holes.

The blind rivets wont leak through the centre, or rust through like normal rivets (the little head left inside the rivet off the shaft is steel)and while they wont look the greatest inside the boat, wont scratch, and will be solid and waterproof.

Have a look here, photo's probably are not the greatest for what you want to look at, but it is when we riveted the new transom onto the silver bullet (my dam boat)
/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=237&func=view&id=4467&catid=5&limit=20&limitstart=120

Archived