Calling all Cricketers

pcsolutionman

pinkey wrote:

im still keen, Im usually an opening bowler, right arm fastish inswing but id be happy to bowl at any stage, and midd to lower order batsman, I also coach a u14 cricket team. :P. Ive been playing since i was 12...... i used to be fully obbsessed with cricket, untill i found fishing again, then crickt came second :P.

we should have a training sesh one day fairly soon, to get the cob webs out of everyones joints.

It would be great to get together for a net session sometime. anybody got any suggestions on where? The facilitys at glasshouse here are great but probly too far for most.

Lee

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh I was so pissed today, went to go to training look in my bag and my bat isnt there :ohmy: :dry: :dry: didnt know where it had gone until I thought oops, a mate in my team had used my bat on saturday to hit a few catches before we headed out to field, anyway long story short we chased Leather all day on a flat pitch, got them 8 for 300:S :S Got off the field didnt even think about my bat not being in my bag as I hadnt used any of my gear and went home (after a few beers :woohoo: ):woohoo: I asked at the club today if it had been handed in, no luck. Im only hoping it was picked up by a team mate, ill find out on saturday.

Not looking forward to having to buy a new bat, only got it late last season and $300 aint cheap

Lee

Lee, if worst comes to worst id suggest buying a batt off ebay, i got a mrf wizard lara 400 rrp $650, for $180 brand new diliverd + bat cover and spare toe gaurd ect, and im 99% sure its genuine, its got a great pickup, meat, grains ect. Had it for over a year now i think still good as new (not that ive gave it optimum usage :P). But, hopefully you find yours :D.

pinkey: "good grains"

I was talking to one of the guys at a local cricket shop, reckons some of the australian players use bats that look like crap. Ie, two tone wood, (so half is that reddish colour, half white) some might have smaller knots etc.

But obviously if they tried to sell that, at $500 or more a pop for some bats they'd want a bat that looks nice. - nice even straight grain, nice uniform white colour free of any knots etc.

To be honest mate, you wont see much difference in performance between Grade 1 and 2 willow. The difference there is mostly visual. Grade 3 you'll start to notice some small performance differences. One big difference is price though!

The new bat I have is almost a middle the whole length of it. It's a great piece of timber. Although, it's certainly not cheap...

TerryH wrote:

pinkey: "good grains"

I was talking to one of the guys at a local cricket shop, reckons some of the australian players use bats that look like crap. Ie, two tone wood, (so half is that reddish colour, half white) some might have smaller knots etc.

But obviously if they tried to sell that, at $500 or more a pop for some bats they'd want a bat that looks nice. - nice even straight grain, nice uniform white colour free of any knots etc.

Yeh Justin langer used to like having a good knot in the middle of his sweet spot, he reckons it gave him extra ping off the bat. As long as it has a good sweetspot, and is fairly light/balanced, thats all that matters dont think about looks when your batting :P well with a few exceptions... *michel clarke* .

I got a beast...

Got a nice knot right in the sweet spot, got KD to order it in, only to find out carbon backed bats were becoming illegal in cricket 3 months later :( hottest looking bat ever made tho. Any other lefty batsmen? Could be advantageous to try have a left hander and right hander in at the same time to screw their lines.

so.. how did everyone go on the weekend? we lost by 18 runs, I took 4/7 and made 30* from 17 balls. Then yesterday at school cricket we got whipped by a strong laidly team, and i managed my highest score of 55* from not many balls but then got no wickets.. Fairly happy. :)

We bowled Norths out for 170, in reply we scored 292

We then bowled norths out for 137

We needed 15 runs to win outright - with 2 minutes to bat. So we sent norths out to bowl that one over, and we only scored 13 :(

Oh well, 1st innings win to Valleys. I got 2/29 in both innings and scored 85 with the bat

Edit: semi finals this weekend

Nice one Terry, yeh our match that we just lost went something like this , we bowled them out for 164 (me only bowled 3 crap overs leg was still in abit of pain) , we got out for 115 or somthing (me = didnt bat) they went back in, we bowled them out for 33, Then we had to make 81 off 6 overs, i went in as opener with my mate, we only got just over 10 an over not enough :S, 0 - 61 off 6, fell short by 18 runs. Got 2 one dayers left this season.

We drew this weekend with Coolum who are unbeaten on top of the ladder we finished in second and will host a semi against calaundra this sat and sun. They made 317 all out first ins, dec second week, we had to bat out 70 overs to draw and guarantee a home semi. I opened and made 39 caught at point, we batted the day out 8 for 188.

Lee

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys i use to play a fair bit of cricket.club,school and rep stuff..

use to open the batting and wicketkeep..can bowl a bit but dont really like bowling a whole lot...i havnt picked up a bat/ball for a while now but might be keen to have a crack again.

Whats the age limit ? i'm 37 and havn't played since i left the RAAF team in 1996 , but still enjoy a hit down the park , spin bowler and middle- lower order basman , but happy anywhere as long as i get to play again , just sounds like alot of you guys are so much younger that i might not fit in .

Archived