Bli Bli Barra Comp: reports

Rocket75

It seems we are the first home, so I'll start the report thread!

We rocked up just on 12.00 to be greeted by familiar faces :) and ordinary weather :angry:

Despite the conditions, plenty of fish were caught over the coming hours, ranging in size from XS to XL.

Kath and I both managed to catch our first barra, though small and unspectacular the duck has been broken:woohoo:

Neither of our barras took pellets, both were on steak fished deep with sinkers...go figure.

I reckon that I will give the spot another go sometime in better conditions and I it will fish drastically better. Plenty of good sized bream in the mixed lake kept us amused whilst the barra were quiet, potential for fun in that area next time.

Sure to be plenty of stories to come, it was a great turnout and good to see new and old faces aplenty.

My first barra :blush:

[img size=334]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/barrapark_003.jpg

post-953-144598445746_thumb.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, loop knots aren't needed with Megabass lures. the action is so strong it wasn't even effected by all those pellets. I usually use loop knots on all plastics and on bream hard bodies but the bigger ones with stronger actions don't need it.

Yeah it was a shame so amny took off for before the picture but great turn out guys!

Ill upload my pictures later.

Just for interest sake, the top 10 barra i recorded went in decending order:

88cm

74cm

73cm

69cm

68cm

68cm

64cm

62cm

61cm

So despite most fish being in the 50's, there were still some decent fish caught.

Thanks to everyone that brought food and helped with the BBQ.

Angus

60cm

Plastic Man wrote:

looks like there was some nice fish caught guys good stuff

any on lures ? and who got the biggest?

I tried really hard all day but only managed to get a bust off on a plastic. Kev got 2 on that same ecogear popper he used last time and shortie got two on a TN50. The fish were spooky as anything. I swam every lure imaginable and could barely get a follow.

I think Anthony got a cod on a lure too.

Not sure how everyone else went on lures artificials.

I tried bait fishing for about an hour and got busted off by a barra and caught a 35cm bream.

I think Ash said he got an 86cm? (or possibly 82? he was not sure of which)

Mate you should have said you were doing photo etc at the end! Would have hung around.

Whatnow, using the official Length V Weight tables from NT DPI, it would be around 8kilo's

/>http://www.nt.gov.au/dpifm/Content/File/p/Fishnote/FN27.pdf

i'll put some pics up later but cowfish13, mozza, my Dad and myself caught close to 20 fish between us all on pellets. Biggest went 60cm (taken on 4lb braid) and the average size would have been 50cm. plenty of bust offs aswell but that's fishing.

we did use lures at first but i got snagged 3rd cast with a brand new Cef70 tiemco , goodbye $25, and we changed to baits straight away.:laugh:

Well me, Pinkey and anth (bait bringa) got to the park a bit after 12 after getting some live bait in which time i caught a small bream on kangoku shad, we live baited with massive prawns and maullet for 4 hours without any hook ups :( at that point i decided to go walking and caught a 28cm tarwhine again on the kangoku shad. after that we live baited some more for 0 hits in teh big boys.

after all this success we decided to just have some fun in barra creek. we were using lures when Anthony (bait bringa) hooked up to what we thought was a barra but it turned out to be a 40cm cod :woohoo: a new PB for anth and it won him second place :D :woohoo:

straight after that tim hooked onto a barra and he got a few after that and so did anthony, i managed to pull teh hooks on 2. all this time i had 2 livebaits out in the mixed pond and when i checked them i had cuaght a nice bream of about 30cm, rebaited and chucked them back only to be smoked by something 10mins later :(

so all in all:

Anthony (bait bringa) 2 barra about 50-55cm

1 cod 40cm (second place winning)

Tim (pinkey) 3 barra

Myself: 3 bream (2 in bait) about 30cm and one tiny one on lure 13cm

1 tarwhine 28cm on lure (its a first :woohoo:

thanks for organising theday guys it was very enjoyable :)

cheers

username_taken wrote:

I got 2 fish, which also by my count were the first of the day and last of the day. Both were on pellets, the big one went 73cm and got my into third place. Caught on 6lb fireline, 6lb leader was an awesome fight, with a bit of aerial acrobatics.

DSC03387.JPG

Mate, where's the shot I took on your Cam of her coming up out of the water? Was it in focus?

Haha i knew it was gonna get smashed, it got boofed a couple of times on the surface but didnt hookup, it had no scales left and half a tail left lol. Today was pretty slow but realy fun. I caught my first ever barra 51cm on 2lb line on a pellet took atleast 5mins to land after running down another creek. I also got my first decant fish on my baitcaster (that i won at the brc same one as whatnow won today!) a 54cm Barra, it took a live mullet wich i just had sitting a few meters out, was realy just trying to keep my mullet alive just incase i wanted to use it in bigboys or mixed and my rod ended up almost getting tugged in, thanks Rocket :P, another funny thing that happend was i was using pellets and anthony was casting lures, and his lure tangled in my line, he was untangling it and my pellet was still in the water, he goes " I bett your pellet's gonna get smashed " in fear of my 2lb braid cutting his fingers and 2 seconds later after he said that BOOF ouch snap. Had a great day, my first ever time seeing and catching barramundi. Ill post a few pics, anthony has more.

Archived