Sea Bream Run

Dan23

I'm really looking forward to the coming months. Soon the sea bream should start to move in along the breakwalls and then up into the estuaries. Should be great fun as they will all be very big and hard fighting.

Just wondering if anyone knows the timings for when they start to move in. From what I've read, by May they should really be firing.

There was an article on chasing them in one of the magazines recently but I can't find it:S

benno573 wrote:

after the may full moon is when the fun really starts...

Thanks for that. I just didn't want to plan a trip too early and be disappointed. Any good locations close to Brissie? I know some great spots in NSW where you can see 40-50cm bream cruising around in schools but somewhere like that closer to home would be great.

I always find June July the best time off the rocks at Straddy. They school up and are hungry. Awesome fun on lite gear.

I hope to dedicate at least two weekends to this style of fishing over the winter. Will be happy to show some people the spots.

Angus

fishyman wrote:

well dan make sure you invite me if you go chasing these thumpers :P

Yeah no worries.

Hey Angus, remember that Brunswick trip we talked about at Baroon?

Maybe if the Tugan Bypass is complete by then it'd be the perfect time for it and a day trip would be totally doable. It really won't be any further than traveling up to Noosa once it's finished.

Really though, Yak's probably wouldn't put you onto any more fish as they all cruise around the rockwalls at high tide chewing on the Oysters. I suppose they'd probably make landing fish easier because you could play the fish away from the rocks.

Someone caught a squire there the other day too. Plus last season I saw 50-70cm GT swimming around. I couldn't catch one but a guy told me he gets them on live whiting

I was thinking maybe some white deep diving suspending baits might work on them. Late in the arvo the Big eyes go crazy and will hit anything.

sounds like alot of fun guys. I wasn't aware of the sea bream run so it makes me very exited to get out there:woohoo: If you are coming down to the goldie i would be happy to tag along if you would have me :) I am keen to learn the habits of fish around this place.

fishyman wrote:

ok now your just teasing :P

sounds like an awesome place for a camping trip, do you know of any camp grounds around there?

there used to be a caravan park and camp ground round the corner from the brunswick pub stayed there many fishing trips

Yeah the camping sites are still at the Bruns. I go there a lot. Thats where my honeymoon was in fact. Last time i was there in winter the bream were so think in the water it was amazing.

You know its only 1 1/2 hours away. Perfectly elgit day yak trip.

Out of the river mouth as well you only need to paddle about 500m and you are on reef.

Angus

bretto wrote:

sounds like alot of fun guys. I wasn't aware of the sea bream run so it makes me very exited to get out there:woohoo: If you are coming down to the goldie i would be happy to tag along if you would have me :) I am keen to learn the habits of fish around this place.

mate, I've never had any luck at the Goldy but you seem to do alright so it'd be more me tagging along with you lol:laugh:

Angus wrote:

Yeah the camping sites are still at the Bruns. I go there a lot. Thats where my honeymoon was in fact. Last time i was there in winter the bream were so think in the water it was amazing.

You know its only 1 1/2 hours away. Perfectly elgit day yak trip.

Out of the river mouth as well you only need to paddle about 500m and you are on reef.

Angus

He he, you mustn't have read my posts on the previous page. I'm throwing out AFO day hints all over the place.

I don't think I'd be brave enough to paddle out through that bar. maybe on a super calm day:cheer: It's not that bad I just don't have any experience. People who know what they're doing would be fine. I saw a guy paddling around there once with a dog on his Kayak.

Yeah sorry Dan i confess i fell victim to an easy "Quick Reply" there.

I would be happy to organise a AFO trip down there.

Ideas?

Overnighter? Day trip? Kayaks? Land Based?

What does everyone think.

We could call it the "South Of The Boarder Raid" hahaha.

Angus

P.S. It might give a few southern members a chance to meet up with us as well.

Dan... You mean overnight to moreton AND straddy?

Maybe 2 nights, 3 days? I think moreton is 15km from Bribie Island. I could check distances and reefs to see a possible plan if enough yakers are interested.

So assumign we go at 4km/h it'd take 4 hours straight to get to moreton. I think that's a pretty easy paddle assuming there's not a 20 knot wind in your face. Of course, I'd be trolling lures the whole way and would stop if I saw a bust up:P So it could take a litte longer.

Alternatively we could get a one way ticket on a barge and paddle over there, fish reefs over there and get the barge back

TerryH wrote:

Dan... You mean overnight to moreton AND straddy?

Maybe 2 nights, 3 days? I think moreton is 15km from Bribie Island. I could check distances and reefs to see a possible plan if enough yakers are interested.

So assumign we go at 4km/h it'd take 4 hours straight to get to moreton. I think that's a pretty easy paddle assuming there's not a 20 knot wind in your face. Of course, I'd be trolling lures the whole way and would stop if I saw a bust up:P So it could take a litte longer.

Alternatively we could get a one way ticket on a barge and paddle over there, fish reefs over there and get the barge back

Ha ha, no I meant brunswick and one of those:lol:

Archived