story bridge:wich bait use to catch big fish?

Freddy4000

Floats are very hard to used landbased in the river because of the strong current, but if you keep it neer the bottom you can still catch threadys and sharks but you will get big catfish eels and stingrays wich are also good fun. best bait are live herring and live prawns for threadys, mullet or anyhting for sharks, anything for the virmen also.

where can I find live bait (mullet,prawn, herring)in the town center of brisbane?

(I'm from belgium and I learn english here so I have no car to get live baits far from spring hill and the town center)

someone can show me a picture of a thready? I don't know this fish...

thanks

Learn how to use a cast net. Brisbane river fishermans best friend. Or lures mate.

Around teh Story bridge and Kangaroo Point there are a lot of cod. So if you cant get live bait, try something like pilchards and whitebait (different types of fish) and cast towards structure like pilons and rocks. This will give you a good chance at an Estuary Cod.

Angus

thanks a lot for your answers mates.

I went behind story bridge to fish today, I took only 2 catfish (and many little fishes and one prawn with a castnet, I put inside some "fishmagnet" with bread).

I tried with one of the little fish (15cm)on the bottom with a sinker but no luck today...(I used a wire line and two hooks and the little fish was alive at the end...)

I will try again soon to take HUGE fishes ;-)

PS: I was bite 100000 times from 6PM to 8PM

• 4 weeks later...

There's often jumping mullet under the cliffs, at the southbank end, at night. I'm a genuine newbie so I don't know if their jumping suggests they're feeding, or being chased, or just checking out the city lights... but some nights they're incredibly active.

My wife takes me for my evening walk (no collar and chain involved) and I'm always tempted to take a rod down with me.

There's a dozen spots along the waterfront there (in front of the cliffs) that should be likely spots.

A mate is on a live-aboard down there... and the lucky bugger pulled up 4 nice muddies the other night for dinner. FOUR I TELL YA - it's gluttony! :blink:

Edit: Oh, right under the Story Bridge there is a little beach at low tide that looks like a pleasant spot to cast from. Nice and dry, out of the way, direct access to the water... no hassles city fishing. A set of stairs takes you right onto the beach at the pointy end of the KP Penninsula.

ellicat wrote:

Dnepr,

Have a look in this thread for some of the reasons mullet jump. Pretty interesting.

http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=237&func=view&id=60492&catid=3#60492

Tell your mate he's not really a mate unless he shares;) :P

Interesting mate, based on that thread I'd say something down there chasing them.

The jumpers aren't one or two every few minutes... some nights they are in schools hard up against the rocks and the jumping is so frequent you wouldn't be able to reliably count the splashes over a 5 minute period.

One night we just stood and watched (for probably 20 minutes) and I reckon they were thick in the water, and in a school that was probably 5 metres across by 20 metres long. That was the night they were hard up against the rocks and putting on a real show.

We see them jumping almost every night though - varying sizes too. I think I'm going to have to have a fish down there to see what's chasing them. ;)

re: the mate and the muddies... AGREED! but to be fair I found out he had the 4 big buggers because he invited me down - but I was out on a family thing. :S

ellicat wrote:

Dnepr,

Have a look in this thread for some of the reasons mullet jump. Pretty interesting.

http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=237&func=view&id=60492&catid=3#60492

HAHAHAHA.... what's going on with yer clock there Ellicat???

Look. I can quote you and post before you theoretically post the stuff I'm quoting! ;-)

I read the story of how old Hornibrook built the Storey bridge. At that time the river was extremely deep there, 90 foot. They had to use diving bells to excavate the footings, several men were badly affected by the bends, including Hornibrook.

I reckon if its still that deep rigging for Cod might be the go.

Before you start using live bait etc you really should look at the legal size limits for all species. Being new to Aus and unfamiliar with our species it can be very easy to get it wrong, i.e. what sort of fish was the 15cm one. if it was a tailor or bream it would have been undersize therefore illegal to use as bait.

Also what do you intend to do with these FISH that you catch, catch and release or for food, Don't forget that there are a lot of people intent on stopping people fishing and if they see someone doing the wrong thing like "hurting" fish then they use that against us.

just my bit as i know different cultures have different views on fish sustainability and what is edible and what is for sport.

Dnepr wrote:

ellicat wrote:
Dnepr,

HAHAHAHA.... what's going on with yer clock there Ellicat???

Look. I can quote you and post before you theoretically post the stuff I'm quoting! ;-)

That's weird. Almost missed your posts because of it.

Maybe it's linked to that Google gDay MATE technology Terry alerted us to on 1 April.:laugh:

Dostylz...

Will do. I'll check out the tides and see when would be the best time to hit it up.

Talking of tides, I've heard they can absolutely roar along there. Even when crabbing my mate basically will wait for the neap tide (is that what it's called?) because he has trouble keeping his pots down when the tide is moving quickly.

Anyway... gotta give it a go sooner or later! :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Do$tylz wrote:

yeah mate. If you're keen, go for a short walk and have a go under the Kangaroo Point cliffs. I haven't tried there, but it looks pretty deep straight off the rocks. Could bein for a big cod there.

hey do$tylz,ive fished the kangaroo point cliffs before but was unsuccessful except for big pike eels and constant vermin that are happy to take livies:angry:on low tide its visibe where the large drop offs are n some scrap metal n old wood pilons form the old wharves.very snaggy country would be interestin to go over with a sounder.definatley the chance of big cod n who knows what else;)worth the time to have a good look around

Archived