Grease Q's?

fishyman

hey fella's

yep you guessed it another reel question...

this time its about one i already own :huh: :ohmy: :silly: :woohoo:

ok well i am disasembling my 1000 stradic for teh first time to regrease and lube up etc for teh upcoming sea bream run and upcoming camping trips.

my question is, what grease should i use to do this? i have a small bottle of shimano reel oil but i also need grease.

i have removed a few parts but i am not going to tear it down completely only so i can access important parts in the reel. so far i have uncovered a crap load of dirty white greasy oil desidue stuff that i am wondering wether to clean off. i am guessing i should and completly re grease with good reel grease.

i have hear good revies on tackletour about hotsauce grease and lubes but i am unsure if that is available here. Does anyone know somewhere i can get reel grease etc etc, or should i just stick it in for a service??

the reel is used approx 3 times weekly

Thanks

Which grease? plenty in the tackle shops, probably a silicon based one would be best. Dont be fooled by the claims of quality, most of them are the same.

We used to use some really expensive stuff at work in the Chem lab, 200 bucks a tube. It looked identical to the $10 tubes we were getting from supercheap for our rubber drill unit fittings. So we stuck them both in the gas chromatograph, guess what - identical. Now we use the supercheap stuff in the lab as well.

ok cleaned all this old grease out and its disasembled lying on my bench awaiting lubrication.

this reel is only about 2 months old, yet it has had sooooo much use its not funny ;) i have used it every time i have gone fishing since getting it. i even tried sharking with it :silly: :blink:

fishyman, the best i've used soo far is the Silicon grease by Wurth. One of the longest lasting, and it handles really well, and the can comes with a spray straw as well, so it's really easy to get into nooks and crannies and other small parts that you'd want to get your grease into. it'll be abit more expensive than normal grease, but it's really worth the money. all the maintennace for my customer's reels is done with it. should be stocked in any good hardware shop. might be available online? worth a shot.

There's a Shimano grease and bearing lubricant set available (spray based), should be able to find it online i think. should be around AUD30 or so?

just thought i'd mention - ZPI also makes some super nano-technology lubricants for bearings as well, but it costs abit more(AUD30-40 for a small (<250ml spray container)?. worth the money tho.

btw, forgot to mention, the Wurth grease product code is HHS2000. available in 300 or 500ml spray cans. ;)

good luck on ya reel. it's worth learning how to disassemble your reels and put em back together tho, will save you alot of $$ too. just be careful when you get to the drag section. either dont take it apart, or make sure you know what you're doing - that's the part that i took forever to learn. other than that, getting the worm gear to mesh with main gear once you put it together again.

what you could do is take pix with ya phone cam as you disassemble it, that's what i used to do :P. hehe

Dan23 wrote:

Hey guys my TP has a little plug you can take out and drop oil into that lubes the main wormdrive. Does this mean I should never really have to open it up???

no mate, i recommend you open it up every 6 months or at least once a year to get rid of all the old grease. if you open up your reels once in a while, you'll notice that the old grease turns black with age, and gets really really sticky, and doesnt really help make the reel smooth. just my 2 cents ;0

guys i can speak up about the wurth products, have used them for years in the automotive game but that grease is the only one we where ever allowed to use when working on the ambulances in the rear carriage area as it didnt attract dirt and didnt easly break down and go everywhere its really top stuff.

Archived