NPD garfish translocation to Kurwongbah.

rayke1938

Today the PRFMA successfully translocated garfish from NPD to lake Kurwongbah as part of the Lake Kurwongbah programme.

There was a large roll up of members and we fished from 8.30 until aprox 11.30 when we knocked off and had a barby and a bit of a natter.

The whole exercise was organised and planned by George Walklin one of our junior members.

George is to congratulated for his efforts and I think that it is wonderful to see a young man getting involved in restocking.

There was a luck draw with a prize of a butterworth mongrel 6,6 heavy boat rod jervis walker aurora 5500 reel that was kindly donated by Jervis Walker.

I was fortunate to be the winner so looks like I will have to go fishing very soon to try it out.

I also had the pleasure to meet Dec for the first time.

I estimate that there would have been over 1000 gar caught plus a bycatch of around 100 tilapia.

We burleyed up the gar with bread and the most successful bait was small pieces of prawn on a no 12 hook. The people who were using worms caught most of the tilapia.

The gar were then transported to Kurwongbah in the PRFMA live fish trailer and released where they should thrive.

Here are some photos of the day. Cheers

Ray

Some of the cars. One of the conditions of use of the site is that all cars have to be parked parallel to the water in case of handbrake failure.

P1010182AFO.jpg

Tilapia

P1010183AFO.jpg

P1010184AFO.jpg

A few of the experts were flyfishing.:laugh:

P1010185AFO.jpg

The rod

P1010193AFO.jpg

Rhe Reel

P1010192AFO.jpg

We were only allowed in there for a few hours to catch gar for Kurwongbah, I had some s/baits in my bag and would of liked to try them out. The sailing and canoe club has a very large mown area at least 3 acres with some picnic tables under trees.

I was catching the gar on bread flies, which was good as the tillies wernt interested

Archived