Stocking Kurwongbah

shayned

Just a quick report guys, Saturday just gone saw PRFMA bank fishing Lake Samsonvale for some mini marlin to stock into Lake Kurwongbah and Lake Gaffney ( a small dam located in the Scout camping area in Pine Rivers).

With special dispensation from SEQ Water and the kind permission of the Sailing Club we used the Winn Rd facilities to do the collection from. we kicked off just after 8.00am and pulled up stumps on the fishing at around 1.00pm.

All up around 30 of our members showed up and 10 scouts from Petrie also came along to help. Most of the kids had never caught a fish before but it was good for them to come along and learn how to catch gar and get to feel like they contributed to helping develop their own Lake for the benefit of other scout troops in the SEQ district.

Thankfully the gar co-operated and we line caught well over 500 fish, one at a time and while we did our best to carefully handle them our loss rate still pushed 15%.

Ken from Jarvis Walker managed to raid the goodies cupboard and found a pretty schmick boat rod combo to put up as an encouragement award for showing up on the day. Did I mention the rod was called a Butterworth Mongrel??? Turned out it was pretty apt as the bloke who cherry picked the prize got called that a bit. By the way Ray if you read this isn't wasn't me, mate.

Turns out it was pretty well deserved prize for Ray because in between catching 50 or so fish he found time to bait hooks, untangle lines and generally give encouragement to a few of the younger scouts that gravitated to him during the course of the day. While I never, ever called him a mongrel (I swear), I did christen him "Poppy Ray"!!

We expect that within 2 years both Lakes will have a good population of Gar present and ready to be targeted by our junior anglers.

Finally, I'd just like to acknowledge PRFMA's youngest member George, for his efforts in organising the weekend. The arrangement for the whole event was given to George some time ago and he took on the challenge and exceeded everyones expectations.

It was pretty funny listening to that young bloke just sticking it to his brother everytime he caught a fish. I think we've got another budding fisho on our hands.

Forgot to thank the owners of the wood fired bakery at the North Pine Country Markets for donating all the bread needed to berley up a 100ms of bank for 5 hours. Especially as they got very late notice and have only just taken over the bakery and are new to the area. But thankfully they are fishos and were only to happy to assist.

Archived