Finally... I bought my set last night

Hi all,

Went to BCF last night around 8pm with my mate, asked the counter bloke whether they have Berkley dropshot or Shimano raider series... He told me that our shop doesn't have any Berkley and Shimano Raider series rod.

After the sales bloke went away, my mate said this is bull ****. So we went around and check... "Ah ha... Here's the Berkley series".. I've tried them out, my mate said "Man! I can whip your ass with this rod. hahaha". After seeing all rods are 20% off, therefore we tried the Shimano Raider series. I've tried the Rack Raider 6'8" 2-4kg and the Finesse Bream 7'6" 2-4kg and I like the Finesse Bream because I can play a little rough with it.

Now its the reel, tossing up and down between sedona 1500 or 2500. But with a 2-4kg rod, I've chosen the 2500. Man, its so smoooooth compared to my cheapy starter reel. After putting the reel and rod together, it feels absolutly awesome.

Bought some SX40s from Jeryl the other day, got 4 of them, two 307s, 333, and 338.

I also bought 4lb Fireline and 6lb Flurocarbon leaders. Went home and put the fireline in the reel. I found out that my reel can take quite a bit of line that after taking 125 yard of line my wheel is only half full. Strange thing is that the line tends to concentrate at the bottom part of the spool rather than evenly distributed in the spool... Anyone know why?

Now I can't wait to meet you guys to try to catch some fish in Newstead!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hilary

if you find that the spool of fireline doesnt fill up the spool on the reel then you should add some backing line. backingline is just something cheaper, if i use backing line i run platypus lowstretch or platpus platinum, they are cheap good value line, you should come along next monday to newstead park. ill be heading down after work

mate, did your reel come with a spare spool? If it did then wind some cheap mono onto the rest of your spool the change spools over and wind it all onto your other spool. It'll put the braid on top if that makes sense. The issue with the line being uneven can be tweaked with washers on some reels. have a look in the box and see if they gave you any.

Shrimpo wrote:

Put the backing line onto the spool with fireline on, then u wind the whole lot onto the spool with nothing on, that way u get the right amount of backing. The fireline will go ontop when u wind onto the 2nd spool.

good one mate I don't think my instructions were very clear:unsure:

Jeryl wrote:

ive never had the backing problem since ive been using daiwa 2004 and 2506 shallow reels all along, and i highly recommended it.

good stuff mate but did you get some stronger leader for your saturday adventure? :laugh:

My mate has 20lb leader line, sure will catch something casting SX40 along the rock walls...

alteclansing wrote:

Jeryl wrote:
ive never had the backing problem since ive been using daiwa 2004 and 2506 shallow reels all along, and i highly recommended it.

good stuff mate but did you get some stronger leader for your saturday adventure? :laugh:

My mate has 20lb leader line, sure will catch something casting SX40 along the rock walls...

20lb might be a bit overkill if your using such light gear, maybe have a think about get some 4lb,8lb,10, and 12lb fluro as well. the 6lb you have is a good start as well.

yap namyau is exactly right mate, 20lb is way too over for casting lures like sx40 coz the diameter of the line is too large and it would make the bites much harder to detected, so try maybe 8lb to 10lb that should be more enough to do the work ;)

namyau wrote:

alteclansing wrote:
Jeryl wrote:

20lb might be a bit overkill if your using such light gear, maybe have a think about get some 4lb,8lb,10, and 12lb fluro as well. the 6lb you have is a good start as well.

Archived